District of Maryland Competitiveness Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

District of Maryland Competitiveness

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:46 pm

Title says it all.

I've heard various things - some people say it's a tier below SDNY/DDC/NCal/EDVA but still tough because of its proximity to DC. Any thoughts on chances for someone top quarter at a lower T14?

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Re: District of Maryland Competitiveness

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Title says it all.

I've heard various things - some people say it's a tier below SDNY/DDC/NCal/EDVA but still tough because of its proximity to DC. Any thoughts on chances for someone top quarter at a lower T14?
You should be in the running. I've known a couple one people person who clerked on D.Md. with similar stats.

ETA the second person I was thinking of was magna at a lower T14.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:07 pm

I know of people who have gotten hired in DMD from median-ish from HYS, so you should be competitive. The one caveat to that is that, anecdotally, I’ve heard Greenbelt judges tend to be significantly more competitive than Baltimore due to DC proximity. YMMV.

Also, for what it’s worth, I’ve heard great things about Chuang and Xinis, but you should probably stay clear of Hollander.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:45 pm

I'd say DMD is two tiers below the districts you have listed.

Around top 25% at MVP has turned into a clerkship in DMD and in the Greenbelt area too. So, depending on what the rest of your resume looks like and how far down in the T14 you are, you should be competitive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:27 pm

I would compare it to D. Mass and EDPA in terms of competitiveness, and agree that the Greenbelt will be more competitive because it allows the large pool of applicants living in DC to clerk without moving or facing a bad commute. The DC to Baltimore commute is doable for a year but hellish.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”