Need to get an answer from a judge... Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Need to get an answer from a judge...

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:21 pm

Trying to secure a clerkship for 2019.

Interview with Judge A several weeks ago. Have not heard back from Judge A.

Had submitted a resume quite some time ago to Judge B, hadn't heard anything back. Out of nowhere, he/she wants to interview me.

I would much rather clerk for Judge A, but if Judge B offers me a position, I will of course accept it. I have not heard from Judge A in the weeks since I interviewed, so I am not super optimistic that he/she is going to offer me a position, but I have not heard either way.

Would it be inappropriate to e-mail Judge A and ask for a decision? I am not trying to leverage anything in any way, but I just would like to know if an offer absolutely will not be forthcoming.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: Need to get an answer from a judge...

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Trying to secure a clerkship for 2019.

Interview with Judge A several weeks ago. Have not heard back from Judge A.

Had submitted a resume quite some time ago to Judge B, hadn't heard anything back. Out of nowhere, he/she wants to interview me.

I would much rather clerk for Judge A, but if Judge B offers me a position, I will of course accept it. I have not heard from Judge A in the weeks since I interviewed, so I am not super optimistic that he/she is going to offer me a position, but I have not heard either way.

Would it be inappropriate to e-mail Judge A and ask for a decision? I am not trying to leverage anything in any way, but I just would like to know if an offer absolutely will not be forthcoming.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Did you meet with any current clerk while you were interviewing? If so I'd e-mail or call one of them and just let them know that you really want to work for Judge A but have an upcoming interview with Judge B.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:44 pm

Did you meet with any current clerk while you were interviewing? If so I'd e-mail or call one of them and just let them know that you really want to work for Judge A but have an upcoming interview with Judge B.
Should I name drop like that? Or just say I'm interviewing for another position?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Should I name drop like that? Or just say I'm interviewing for another position?
Ah should've been more clear: I probably wouldn't name the other judge. Just say you've got another clerkship interview on X date.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ah should've been more clear: I probably wouldn't name the other judge. Just say you've got another clerkship interview on X date.
Agreed, this is the right way to do it. If you don’t have contact info for a current clerk reach out to the JA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:09 pm

Yeah, I think it's fair to reach out to the JA and ask them to tell the judge directly, actually, rather than go through the clerks. And I think it's totally reasonable to check in with Judge A and that they won't be offended by you checking (even if they can't give you a helpful answer).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”