How do I know which superior court judge is hiring? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

How do I know which superior court judge is hiring?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:23 pm

This question may be a bit stupid: for the superior courts where no "law clerk" position is posted on their website, how do I know if a certain judge is hiring or not? Do I have to call each chamber? My major target is superior courts and trial courts. Of course state appellate court is even better.

I'd prefer large cities, so it's easier to network, but I don't mind clerking in the middle of nowhere. Flexible with everything. I can't afford to be selective with such an awful GPA -- I guess I'm the bottom few ones in my mid-T14 law school.

Anonymous User

Re: How do I know which superior court judge is hiring?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:43 pm

Not sure what you mean by "superior" courts - not all states use that term - but Vermont Law School has a state clerkship guide which covers all 50 states. You need a username/password to access it, but your career office should be able to give that to you (my school had it posted on the page we reached when we logged in). Not all trial-level judges hire term clerks, though. So you may end up having to call a bunch of judges to find out.

Also depending on which school you're at you may have a better shot at state appellate courts than you expect, especially if you have any ties to an area. I clerked at a state COA in my law school market and there were only a smattering of elite school grads, and I had the impression it wasn't hard for them to get hired - not as many applied and some judges really liked the big name schools. State COAs also tend to have more information available online/hire term clerks more regularly.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”