How to ask the Judge? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

How to ask the Judge?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:17 pm

For federal district judges--I blanketed a lot of chambers with resumes this past year. One judge emails to set up an interview for a clerkship in the 2019-2020 term, but I would really prefer the 2020-2021 term. Due to the timeline of a spouse's career/education, I actually might not even be able to say yes to the earlier term if they extended an offer.

So should I ask "will you interview for a later term", 1) now before we set up the interview or 2) should I wait until I get to the interview?

I don't want to ask now and scare them away, I'd rather make a good impression in the interview and explain the situation in person. Ideas?

Anonymous User

Re: How to ask the Judge?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For federal district judges--I blanketed a lot of chambers with resumes this past year. One judge emails to set up an interview for a clerkship in the 2019-2020 term, but I would really prefer the 2020-2021 term. Due to the timeline of a spouse's career/education, I actually might not even be able to say yes to the earlier term if they extended an offer.

So should I ask "will you interview for a later term", 1) now before we set up the interview or 2) should I wait until I get to the interview?

I don't want to ask now and scare them away, I'd rather make a good impression in the interview and explain the situation in person. Ideas?
I would let chambers know now. It could certainly be seen as rude to make the judge, clerks, and JA devote significant time out of their day to an interview for a position that may not be even available. Some judges are rigid in their hiring (they only hire X months out) and some are much more flexible and willing to hire the right person several years in advance. If this judge is in the former category, he or she would probably think you had wasted their time even if they enjoyed meeting you.

If you notify ahead of it, there is certainly a chance chambers will tell you that the judge isn’t ready to consider 2020 applicants, but if they liked you enough to interview you now there’s a good chance they call you back to interview next year for 2020.

Anonymous User

Re: How to ask the Judge?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For federal district judges--I blanketed a lot of chambers with resumes this past year. One judge emails to set up an interview for a clerkship in the 2019-2020 term, but I would really prefer the 2020-2021 term. Due to the timeline of a spouse's career/education, I actually might not even be able to say yes to the earlier term if they extended an offer.

I would let chambers know now. It could certainly be seen as rude to make the judge, clerks, and JA devote significant time out of their day to an interview for a position that may not be even available. Some judges are rigid in their hiring (they only hire X months out) and some are much more flexible and willing to hire the right person several years in advance. If this judge is in the former category, he or she would probably think you had wasted their time even if they enjoyed meeting you.

If you notify ahead of it, there is certainly a chance chambers will tell you that the judge isn’t ready to consider 2020 applicants, but if they liked you enough to interview you now there’s a good chance they call you back to interview next year for 2020.
Thanks for the advice. I think you are correct. I was excited to get the interview, and wanted to go and make my pitch, but I would not want to risk insulting them.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”