Post-Magistrate Clerkship opportunities Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Post-Magistrate Clerkship opportunities

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:40 pm

Hi everyone. I have a feeling this was discussed before, but I could not find any definitive answer. I am currently in a V10 BigLaw firm in New York, but am interviewing for a magistrate judge clerkship. Is it worth it? I would like to move to the city where the clerkship would be located, but would also like to be able to return to NYC BigLaw if needed. Thoughts? Opinions?

Also, magistrate judge clerks are compensated on the same pay scale, right? But no biglaw bonus for magistrate judge clerkships, right?

Anonymous User

Re: Post-Magistrate Clerkship opportunities

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi everyone. I have a feeling this was discussed before, but I could not find any definitive answer. I am currently in a V10 BigLaw firm in New York, but am interviewing for a magistrate judge clerkship. Is it worth it? I would like to move to the city where the clerkship would be located, but would also like to be able to return to NYC BigLaw if needed. Thoughts? Opinions?

Also, magistrate judge clerks are compensated on the same pay scale, right? But no biglaw bonus for magistrate judge clerkships, right?
The geography component is what worries me a bit. It sounds like the clerkship is not in NY, but is in a place that you want to work. If that's the case, then it sounds like a good way of moving to that city and applying to jobs there.

As far as moving back to biglaw, it depends on a few things. First, whether the clerkship is in a busy, "prestigious" district or not. Second, how senior are you? If you're relatively senior already (fourth year+) , it might be harder to find a new job in NY Biglaw. Third, how friendly is your current V10 to clerks? Will they 100% take you back?

Finally, yes, same pay scale. And the magistrate judge clerks I know have gotten biglaw bonus.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”