NY State Court of Appeals Clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

NY State Court of Appeals Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 14, 2018 1:19 pm

Hey all:

Can anyone share their experience in obtaining a clerkship for the Court of Appeals of New York (Highest NY state court), especially regarding the application and interview process.

I know the judges have their own individual timelines for hiring which vary, but there is very little information on the internet for clerking with a judge at the NY Court of Appeals. Thanks.

thelastlaugh

New

Re: NY State Court of Appeals Clerkship

Post by thelastlaugh » Thu May 17, 2018 9:39 am

I applied two years ago, for two separate judges. Applications were solicited from the judge's personal/professional connections, who recommended me and some others at my firm (and a few others from another firm), and there was no public application posted as far as I know. One judge passed on my application, but forwarded it to another judge, who offered me an interview. (I declined because I had already accepted a DC clerkship). I know that at least one judge still gets his/her clerks through this type of closed application process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 17, 2018 11:01 am

They've recently become more transparent about who's hiring and for when: http://www.nycourts.gov/ctapps/clrkships.htm

I interviewed with one, and besides for the obvious question (why NY court of appeals) it was pretty much the same as my federal interviews.

M_Law

New

Post by M_Law » Thu May 17, 2018 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They've recently become more transparent about who's hiring and for when: http://www.nycourts.gov/ctapps/clrkships.htm

I interviewed with one, and besides for the obvious question (why NY court of appeals) it was pretty much the same as my federal interviews.
Anon here. Thanks, this was helpful. How competitive are the clerkships in terms of stats and pedigree, with the understanding that judges can be idiosyncratic in hiring? There's not much information to go by, hence I ask. Appreciate any insight.

thelastlaugh

New

Post by thelastlaugh » Thu May 17, 2018 7:36 pm

Two people I know who clerked are not t14 grads, but were at v10 firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 29, 2018 9:06 pm

thelastlaugh wrote:Two people I know who clerked are not t14 grads, but were at v10 firms.
Would you be would you be willing to talk about the interview experience in more detail?

thelastlaugh

New

Post by thelastlaugh » Wed May 30, 2018 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
thelastlaugh wrote:Two people I know who clerked are not t14 grads, but were at v10 firms.
Would you be would you be willing to talk about the interview experience in more detail?
I can't speak to the interview process because I didn't interview. But my understanding is that it's very similar to federal clerkship interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:59 am

Bump. Interested in this, namely the interview/selection process.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:24 am

I can't speak to the process or selectivity etc. but be aware that this is one of the few courts targeted by top foreign students who can't do federal clerkships.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:37 pm

I was just poking around on the Court of Appeals' website and it looks like in addition to the "normal" clerks, they also hire a few 2-year clerks to serve with the Court's Central Legal Research Staff. https://www.nycourts.gov/ctapps/clrkships.htm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”