Bad Idea Applying to Former Partner at My Firm? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Bad Idea Applying to Former Partner at My Firm?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 08, 2018 1:08 am

I'm a 3L considering applying to a judge who was formerly a partner at the firm where I plan to work for 2-3 years before clerking. My firm doesn't yet know that I will be clerking (I've expressed general interest, but I haven't given them a specific time-frame).

Should I not apply to this judge, who probably remains in contact with partners at my firm, because she might tell those partners about my application (especially if it proceeds to an interview/hire)? I think that my working for the judge's former firm could actually help my chances of getting the clerkship. But I wouldn't want my soon-to-be bosses getting this information about my career plans from a judge first rather than from me.

toast and bananas

Bronze

Re: Bad Idea Applying to Former Partner at My Firm?

Post by toast and bananas » Tue May 08, 2018 4:29 pm

Why not just tell your firm? Does your firm disfavor people clerking for some reason?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 08, 2018 7:44 pm

They support associates who want to clerk. But I'm currently a soon-to-graduate 3L and not sure how I'd tell them before I've actually secured a clerkship.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:39 pm

Are you overthinking this? Unless it's a small office that just has a few SAs each year and really counts on them coming back, does it really matter if you defer your start by a year? At most firms it's completely expected that some SAs will obtain clerkships and defer or not ever come back.

daedalus2309

Bronze

Post by daedalus2309 » Wed May 09, 2018 4:03 pm

You're overthinking this. Most firms would like this. Even after 2-3 years.

New

Post by 20181989 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:59 pm

You should apply. If anything, the partners at your current firm remember and think highly of the judge to whom you might apply. After all, generally lawyers elevated to the bench were successful, respected partners. I would expect the response from those at your firm to be something like, "Oh, clerking for [ __ ]? S/he's fantastic. You would learn a ton from her/him. Let me know if you want me to drop her/him a note."

You might get questions like, "Do you think you'd come back here after the clerkship?", but that's not unique to this judge.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”