T20, 3.4, LR Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

T20, 3.4, LR

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:15 am

I recently graduated from a T20 law school, have a 3.4 GPA, and was an editor for my school's law review. I understand that I probably do not have a shot at SDNY or CDCA, but would I have a shot at a federal clerkship in a random state and/or a flyover district?

If I did have a shot, would it be worth it going to a random state and/or flyover district?

EDIT: I forgot to mention this is specifically for district court clerkships.

Anonymous User

Re: T20, 3.4, LR

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:10 am

Your chances are pretty low but probably not 0. The best chance of your application making it through the wash of applications is with a judge who is in the region where your law school is and who has a history of hiring clerks from your school. After that, your next best hope is that some interest in your application lines up with something the judge is interested in and that gets you an interview. Given the low likelihood of success, not sure it is worth the investment in paper applications.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:33 am

do you have another job lined up? your odds seem better as an alum

you might as well apply even if you don't though

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:33 am

OP here. Thank you for the responses. I'm currently in appellate practice, but not at a big firm. What sort of gigs can help me be more competitive for a clerkship?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”