HLS 2L with bad grades. Give up? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

HLS 2L with bad grades. Give up?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:28 pm

Wondering if I should stop wasting my time applying for clerkships. I'm totally fine with flyover positions.

I'm an HLS 2L who followed up an average 1L year with abysmal 2L Fall grades, including an LP. Am I essentially disqualified from federal clerkships at this point?

Anonymous User

Re: HLS 2L with bad grades. Give up?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wondering if I should stop wasting my time applying for clerkships. I'm totally fine with flyover positions.

I'm an HLS 2L who followed up an average 1L year with abysmal 2L Fall grades, including an LP. Am I essentially disqualified from federal clerkships at this point?
Another HLS 2L here to give you a bit of encouragement. :-)

What are your recommendations based upon? More specifics on your grades? What types of classes have you taken?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:56 pm

Not in "flyover" (hate that phrase) especially if you have a geographic connection or even more competitive places if someone recommends you to the Judge. Especially true if you wait and get some work experience and/or pull up your grades 3L year.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:41 pm

You need a clerkship to stay alive in the law. If you give up on getting one, you're giving up on life (or, a LIFE IN THE LAW).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wondering if I should stop wasting my time applying for clerkships. I'm totally fine with flyover positions.

Keep in mind that "average" at HLS is not anything to sneeze at if you're ok with flyover locations (not trying to be snobby, it does carry weight). One good strategy would be talk to both the clerkship office and the professors in the classes in which you did well. Some may have connections that could lead somewhere, especially if you're willing to do some RA work. Again, for flyover positions, the HLS "brand" does carry some weight, though obviously not enough to overcome grades as a rule. The point is that you don't have to give up quite yet because you still have some resources you can make use of.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:01 am

I think anyone who uses the term flyover should be banned from clerkships

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:06 pm

jd20132013 wrote:I think anyone who uses the term flyover should be banned from clerkships
Rootless cosmopolitan coastal elites begrudgingly gracing you with their attention and services.

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:32 am

No, you are not disqualified necessarily, but it will be very difficult to get a prestigious district. It will also be difficult to get one (anywhere) right out of school. You might consider looking for fellowships or other opportunities to get a year or two of experience, and then applying for clerkships again with that on your resume.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”