Grades for TX SSC from hys? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
knnet

New

Grades for TX SSC from hys?

Post by knnet » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:34 pm

I'm a 1L at hys and am very interested in applying for a clerkship at the TX Supreme Court. Is there a sense of when (grades-wise) a TX ssc clerkship might start becoming a feasible option? Currently above median but wondering how much above median I need to be. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Grades for TX SSC from hys?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:15 am

My educated guess is that strong TX ties plus grades in roughly the cum laude range will make you competitive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:05 pm

knnet wrote:I'm a 1L at hys and am very interested in applying for a clerkship at the TX Supreme Court. Is there a sense of when (grades-wise) a TX ssc clerkship might start becoming a feasible option? Currently above median but wondering how much above median I need to be. Thanks!
Know someone who was somewhat sub-cum laude at HYS who got TX SSC without ties but with a very good rec

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My educated guess is that strong TX ties plus grades in roughly the cum laude range will make you competitive.
Isn't cum laude at HLS 3.6? That's probably equivalent to Kent at CLS or magna at NYU.

Why in heaven's name would one need a GPA that high to clerk on a state supreme court? Why not simply above median? And shouldn't your career center keep stats on this stuff?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:46 pm

I had 3.59 at HLS and missed cum laude. If 3.6 is actually the cutoff, that’s a bummer haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:26 am

Btw at Harvard top 40% get cum lauds so 3.6 isn't crazy. I think cut off was 3.)3 last year?

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:23 pm

Wild Card wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My educated guess is that strong TX ties plus grades in roughly the cum laude range will make you competitive.
Isn't cum laude at HLS 3.6? That's probably equivalent to Kent at CLS or magna at NYU.

Why in heaven's name would one need a GPA that high to clerk on a state supreme court? Why not simply above median? And shouldn't your career center keep stats on this stuff?
A 3.6 at HLS at graduation is roughly top 40% of the class (i.e., 80% of the people who are above median). My general view is that roughly above median grades at HYS put you in a position to clerk on a district court in a non-flyover but not especially competitive market, or a state supreme court in a state that is not CA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”