Are Clerkship Bonuses Assumed When Accepting a Firm's Offer as a Summer? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Are Clerkship Bonuses Assumed When Accepting a Firm's Offer as a Summer?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:01 pm

I'm a 2L and I'm going to be a summer associate this year. I've already accepted a district court clerkship for the term after I graduate. If at the end of the summer I accept the firm's offer (for after my clerkship assuming I get the judge's permission), do I need to discuss the clerkship bonus or is that assumed? (E.g., they're not going to be like, "You accepted too soon sucker no bonus for you!")

Anonymous User

Re: Are Clerkship Bonuses Assumed When Accepting a Firm's Offer as a Summer?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:31 pm

+1 in the same situation, and also interested in the answer to this!

Anonymous User

Re: Are Clerkship Bonuses Assumed When Accepting a Firm's Offer as a Summer?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:31 am

Yes. The firms still will pay you the bonus because that is considered the "market" rate. When I was at Sidley, they had a summer presentation to clerks about the bonus and the timing of the bar stipend / reimbursement.

Remember that your firm wants to keep you from going to other firms. If they didn't pay the bonus you'd certainly leave on the clerkship market.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”