Biglaw Junior Clerkship Chances Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Biglaw Junior Clerkship Chances

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:11 pm

Hi All,

I am currently a 1st year biglaw associate thinking of applying for clerkships. I transferred to a T6 from a T1. At the T6 I was in the top 1/3 and on a secondary journal. I'm currently working at a NY V10 in the litigation department and actually enjoying it.

However, I would like to end up in gov (AUSA if possible). Given how competitive these positions are, I'm wondering if clerking would increase my chances. Additionally, a handful of my friends are clerking and have had very positive experiences so far. They also seem to be working on (mostly) interesting cases. That being said, I'm not really sure if I would be competitive with my stats.

-Would I even have a chance with my stats? I would be willing to clerk in bumblefuck if I needed to.
-Would a clerkship be necessary or helpful for fed gov (especially USAO)?
-Would I need to clerk somewhere like SDNY or would bumblefuck be good enough?
-Given that I am currently a first year and wouldn't be clerking for a couple years, do judges look down on applicants that would be a 3rd or 4th year?
-Would it be worth clerking as a 3rd or 4th year?

Thanks in advance for all of the advice!

Anonymous User

Re: Biglaw Junior Clerkship Chances

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:28 pm

Very similar, slightly less impressive stats. Clerked D.Ct. (non-flyover, non SDNY-type court) and now on major COA, with AUSA as a goal. Was almost a 4th year when I left.

I have interviewed or will with 6 major AUSA offices. I am confident that it would be zero without my clerkships (no way of knowing).

I have interviewed EDNY (not SDNY) without a "like SDNY" clerkship

Do not look down and several prefer it. (Those who do not don't "look down," I don't think)

At any rate, you'd be competitive, for sure, but clerkship hiring is random. I applied broadly and received 2 interviews for D.Ct. and 2 for COA. That's it. You'd have more success I think.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Very similar, slightly less impressive stats. Clerked D.Ct. (non-flyover, non SDNY-type court) and now on major COA, with AUSA as a goal. Was almost a 4th year when I left.

I have interviewed or will with 6 major AUSA offices. I am confident that it would be zero without my clerkships (no way of knowing).

I have interviewed EDNY (not SDNY) without a "like SDNY" clerkship

Do not look down and several prefer it. (Those who do not don't "look down," I don't think)

At any rate, you'd be competitive, for sure, but clerkship hiring is random. I applied broadly and received 2 interviews for D.Ct. and 2 for COA. That's it. You'd have more success I think.

From a timing standpoint, when in your clerkship did you start applying to [or do you plan on applying to] AUSA positions?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:30 pm

Started applying with a full year left.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”