How to Ask Professors to Call Judges? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

How to Ask Professors to Call Judges?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:32 pm

Any suggestions on how I should ask my professors to call judges?

Sacred Cow

New

Re: How to Ask Professors to Call Judges?

Post by Sacred Cow » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:01 pm

Politely?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:38 am

I'm an alum, so I can't just walk into my professor’s office. Can anyone please provide sample language for an email? Or is it better to call the professor directly?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm an alum, so I can't just walk into my professor’s office. Can anyone please provide sample language for an email? Or is it better to call the professor directly?
I'm a current student and I still sent an email. Sometimes it just makes life easier, especially if you have to send follow up information which you likely will. Here's what I sent.

"Professor X,

I sent out four applications at the end of January (then listed which clerkship applications I had mailed off). I will be applying to Judges Y and Z next month. I wanted to provide this update to generally keep you in the loop. But also, because my top 3 judges are: Judge Y, Judge Z and Judge A and I was hoping you might be willing to make a call to those judges for me. If you are willing, I can provide more information as to why I think I would be a good fit for each and detailing connections I have with each of them.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Sincerely,
--"

This email worked well. My prof emailed me back quickly asking me to send the information I alluded to and also to give a timeline of when I'd like the phone calls to be made.

I also think something like the below could work too.

"Hi Professor X,

I hope your spring semester is going well. I want to first thank you for being one of my recommenders for clerkship applications! In addition to letters, faculty phone calls to judges can be very helpful in the clerkship process and I was hoping you could make a few calls for me? If you are willing, I can provide you a list of judges' names, their contact info, and why I think I'd be a good fit.

Sincerely,
--"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm an alum, so I can't just walk into my professor’s office. Can anyone please provide sample language for an email? Or is it better to call the professor directly?
I'm a current student and I still sent an email. Sometimes it just makes life easier, especially if you have to send follow up information which you likely will. Here's what I sent.

"Professor X,

I sent out four applications at the end of January (then listed which clerkship applications I had mailed off). I will be applying to Judges Y and Z next month. I wanted to provide this update to generally keep you in the loop. But also, because my top 3 judges are: Judge Y, Judge Z and Judge A and I was hoping you might be willing to make a call to those judges for me. If you are willing, I can provide more information as to why I think I would be a good fit for each and detailing connections I have with each of them.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Sincerely,
--"

This email worked well. My prof emailed me back quickly asking me to send the information I alluded to and also to give a timeline of when I'd like the phone calls to be made.

I also think something like the below could work too.

"Hi Professor X,

I hope your spring semester is going well. I want to first thank you for being one of my recommenders for clerkship applications! In addition to letters, faculty phone calls to judges can be very helpful in the clerkship process and I was hoping you could make a few calls for me? If you are willing, I can provide you a list of judges' names, their contact info, and why I think I'd be a good fit.

Sincerely,
--"
This is very helpful - thank you!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”