Rebirth of the Hiring Plan? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Rebirth of the Hiring Plan?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:16 pm

Just saw this on OSCAR: https://oscar.uscourts.gov/federal_law_ ... ring_pilot

Thoughts or knowledge about who's actually participating?

Anonymous User

Re: Rebirth of the Hiring Plan?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:53 pm

Letter regarding this went around my Circuit (current COA clerk) and there was really very little discussion on it and those who commented did so negatively. I think there is a general desire to have some more organization but it just isn't going to happen and I don't expect this to gain much traction.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:08 pm

Awesome, thanks for the info. Was a little worried Class of 2019ers that don’t have one yet would get absolutely shafted haha.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:42 pm

The extent to which this is followed will depend on the circuit. Most judges on the 2nd, 9th, and DC circuits are planning to follow this for at least 1-2 years, including, I believe, almost all of the feeders. I am less sure about the 7th. Outside of that, it’s not clear who will be following it. Most of the circuits where more of the hiring is regional (think 4th, 5th, 11th) have fewer or no judges participating. Of course, it’s possible some judges who have committed to the plan will cheat. I think that is relatively unlikely for the first year, but we’ll see.

Regardless, this won’t affect the class of 2019. The rule is “no interviewing until two years of grades,” not “no hiring until one year before the clerkship,” though the OSCAR post doesn’t make this completely clear.

(Current 2/9/DC clerk)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:06 pm

^if that’s true, then wouldn’t it help 2019 grads looking for clerkships in 2020/2021 since judges will have fewer applications (since 1Ls can’t submit applications)? That assumes that judges still hire according to their normal timeline.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:23 pm

Have all the judges that are going to participate opted in yet, or can they opt in at any time?

Any idea on what D.Ct. judges are participating? Sixth Circuit? Eighth Circuit?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The extent to which this is followed will depend on the circuit. Most judges on the 2nd, 9th, and DC circuits are planning to follow this for at least 1-2 years, including, I believe, almost all of the feeders. I am less sure about the 7th. Outside of that, it’s not clear who will be following it. Most of the circuits where more of the hiring is regional (think 4th, 5th, 11th) have fewer or no judges participating. Of course, it’s possible some judges who have committed to the plan will cheat. I think that is relatively unlikely for the first year, but we’ll see.

Regardless, this won’t affect the class of 2019. The rule is “no interviewing until two years of grades,” not “no hiring until one year before the clerkship,” though the OSCAR post doesn’t make this completely clear.

(Current 2/9/DC clerk)
I've heard from a 2 judge (feeder or semi-feeder) that is absolutely not doing it.

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The extent to which this is followed will depend on the circuit. Most judges on the 2nd, 9th, and DC circuits are planning to follow this for at least 1-2 years, including, I believe, almost all of the feeders. I am less sure about the 7th. Outside of that, it’s not clear who will be following it. Most of the circuits where more of the hiring is regional (think 4th, 5th, 11th) have fewer or no judges participating. Of course, it’s possible some judges who have committed to the plan will cheat. I think that is relatively unlikely for the first year, but we’ll see.

(Current 2/9/DC clerk)
I've heard from a 2 judge (feeder or semi-feeder) that is absolutely not doing it.
Money says this is Lohier.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Have all the judges that are going to participate opted in yet, or can they opt in at any time?

Any idea on what D.Ct. judges are participating? Sixth Circuit? Eighth Circuit?
Cote (SDNY) is participating and appears to be holding a slot for the class of 2020.

http://www.nysd.uscourts.gov/cases/show ... fo&id=1505

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:16 pm

Can we try to compile a list of non-participating judges?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”