Phone calls for second clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Phone calls for second clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:20 pm

Former d court clerk with a couple years work experience looking to go coa in same general area.

The judge I clerked for already put a call into a circuit judge I think I have the best shot at (relatively) for reasons not worth going into here. I also have a professor who I know would make a call, and she did for the clerkship I ended up getting.

Even with the prior d court clerkship, my stats are still kind of borderline, and it’s quite conceivable I don’t get interviewed. I only got one d court interview a few years ago.

My question is whether I have the prof make a call now and go for broke to get an interview, or whether I holster it in the hopes that I get an interview and then have the prof call right before or right after it.

Thanks in advance for advice.

minnbills

Gold

Re: Phone calls for second clerkship

Post by minnbills » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:16 am

If the professor has some connection to the judge, then putting in a call now is probably the right move.

If there's no connection, I wouldn't bother. Having your former judge call in is going to give you as big a boost as you're going to get.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:26 pm

minnbills wrote:If the professor has some connection to the judge, then putting in a call now is probably the right move.

If there's no connection, I wouldn't bother. Having your former judge call in is going to give you as big a boost as you're going to get.
Op here. You really wouldn’t bother at all? Or you wouldn’t bother pre-interview?

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:03 pm

While I don't think the professor calling will add much value, unless the prof is particularly prominent or is a personal friend of the judge's, you've got nothing to lose. After thinking about it some more, I think the real issue here is that it won't matter whether the professor calls now or later once you've gotten an interview. So, you might as well go for it now.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:13 pm

I'd have the prof call now. I tend to think that calls after getting an interview are next to worthless since you've already been pulled from the pile, you've been given a hard look, and you're given a chance to interview. At that point, you're at least qualified, and the hiring decision is probably more about fit. Unless the prof is someone the judge particularly trusts, it's unlikely that his opinion is going to sway the judge's impressions of you from the interview one way or another. The real utility in calls is getting pulled from the pile and getting a hard look. A second call strengthens the signal that this is someone worth spending judge and clerk time interviewing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:08 pm

BlackAndOrange84 wrote:I'd have the prof call now. I tend to think that calls after getting an interview are next to worthless since you've already been pulled from the pile, you've been given a hard look, and you're given a chance to interview. At that point, you're at least qualified, and the hiring decision is probably more about fit. Unless the prof is someone the judge particularly trusts, it's unlikely that his opinion is going to sway the judge's impressions of you from the interview one way or another. The real utility in calls is getting pulled from the pile and getting a hard look. A second call strengthens the signal that this is someone worth spending judge and clerk time interviewing.
Op here. Thanks all! Prof said s/he would call. Fingers crossed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”