First Year Associate after 3 yr Clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

First Year Associate after 3 yr Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:58 pm

I have been clerking for a bankruptcy judge and am finally getting ready to leave after a 3 year term. I am applying to bankruptcy firms right now and was asked by one if I was applying for a first year associate position. I said yes, but I’m not sure what the standard is generally for law clerks. Do most law clerks go from clerkship to first year associate? Is this something I should be negotiating? I am painfully unaware of how this works.

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Re: First Year Associate after 3 yr Clerkship

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:28 pm

No. Most would start as at least a second year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:02 am

Go back and say second year. You have some skills under your belt. First years don't know anything (including myself).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:43 am

It is definitely negotiable.

I can't speak for bankruptcy clerkships, but most district court and court of appeals clerks will get credit for their time. Sometimes firms will only offer one year of credit for a two-year clerkship, and rarely a firm will only offer one year of credit for two separate clerkships. But no credit for a clerkship is very uncommon, at least for district/circuit court clerks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:29 am

I was a two-year BK clerk and received full class credit. It's unlikely you'd receive three years, however.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:39 am

Current bankruptcy clerk (3 years of clerking). I recently received an offer proposing to place me as a 2nd year.

You should negotiate - after clerking you should really be slotted as a 2nd or maybe 3rd.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:18 pm

dude you should out the firm that gives you a first-year status, this is simply not right to put a third year law clerk as a stub. Whether you are a mid-level or second-year depends on which judge/ area you clerked for. First year is setting your career back for an entire year while the partners will use you as a mid-level

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:39 am

If youre trying to make partner wouldn't you rather be a relatively experienced associate the firm can bill as a first year than an in over your head third year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:29 pm

What does it mean to be a 'stub.' Does it refer to the first few months before the new calendar year for all new hires? Or just for those who will be a first year when the new calendar year starts?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:38 pm

If you're in up-or-out big law it may be preferable to start as a first (or second) year rather than trying to get full "class credit". I don't see how you could possibly learn many junior-type tasks through clerking but I also didn't clerk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:36 pm

the concept that you would rather discredit your experience to gain some edge on billable hours, for the purpose to be a competitive partner candidate in seven years is LAUGHABLE to me. hahahahahahahahah. If you are starting as a first year after three years, it goes on your resume saying "yeah I mailed it in during my entire clerkship career and I clerked at Idaho Bankruptcy court"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”