Offering to pay recruiter fee out of clerk bonus Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Offering to pay recruiter fee out of clerk bonus

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:31 am

Went to a clerkship reception at a firm I really really liked last night. Made some good connections, got a business card. I had already been submitted by a recruiter I trust and, at the time this made sense, because there were not posted positions.

Last night, a hiring partner mentioned that recruiter-submits wouldn’t get a look in the first batch of applicants due to the fee. He seemed very interested in my story and “elevator speech,” but when he told me to submit ASAP I had to disclose that a recruiter already had.

Now I’m considering offering to pay recruiter fee out of clerkship bonus, artfully worded in my follow-up email to him.

So my question to TLS is whether this would convey genuine enthusiasm and potentially make an articulable difference, or whether it would just be weird and reek of desperation.

albanach

Gold

Re: Offering to pay recruiter fee out of clerk bonus

Post by albanach » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Went to a clerkship reception at a firm I really really liked last night. Made some good connections, got a business card. I had already been submitted by a recruiter I trust and, at the time this made sense, because there were not posted positions.

Last night, a hiring partner mentioned that recruiter-submits wouldn’t get a look in the first batch of applicants due to the fee. He seemed very interested in my story and “elevator speech,” but when he told me to submit ASAP I had to disclose that a recruiter already had.

Now I’m considering offering to pay recruiter fee out of clerkship bonus, artfully worded in my follow-up email to him.

So my question to TLS is whether this would convey genuine enthusiasm and potentially make an articulable difference, or whether it would just be weird and reek of desperation.
I'm curious. Presumably the firm doesn't have a contract with your recruiter. What does your contract say?

What's the basis for enforcing payment if the firm separately and independently identifies you as a potential hire? Is there something in your agreement with the recruiter that would make you personally liable if the firm doesn't pay? I figure there's something there, I'm just wondering how the contractual mechanics work in this situation.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:51 am

albanach wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Went to a clerkship reception at a firm I really really liked last night. Made some good connections, got a business card. I had already been submitted by a recruiter I trust and, at the time this made sense, because there were not posted positions.

I'm curious. Presumably the firm doesn't have a contract with your recruiter. What does your contract say?

What's the basis for enforcing payment if the firm separately and independently identifies you as a potential hire? Is there something in your agreement with the recruiter that would make you personally liable if the firm doesn't pay? I figure there's something there, I'm just wondering how the contractual mechanics work in this situation.
I gave the recruiter oral permission to submit a few weeks ago. If I got the job, I would have no qualms about making things financially right. I just don’t want to get pushed to a late pile because a recruiter already submitted me.

Do I offer this?

In hindsight, should I not have disclosed I had already been submitted and just dealt if and when it became an issue?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:37 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote: Do I offer this?

In hindsight, should I not have disclosed I had already been submitted and just dealt if and when it became an issue?
I've never used a recruiter, so this is just my own thought, not from experience.

You clearly really like the firm, or you wouldn't be asking. So there's some value to that. And you know you may not get an offer because of the recruiter situation.

You could offer the recruiter half the fee personally if you were released from that firm. Given the firm's hiring policy, it doesn't look like the recruiter is able to do anything special for you there anyway. Request a written agreement that the recruiter will accept a fee specified in dollars from you and will not expect any payment from that employer. You can then send that agreement to the partner you spoke with.

Next time you enter into a recruitment agreement, I guess it might be worth trying to negotiate an exception to positions you independently identify. As it stands, you're almost incentivized not to use your initiative.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:55 pm

Just out of curiosity, are you talking about White & Case?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hopefullitassociate

New

Post by Hopefullitassociate » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:35 pm

For what it's worth, when I worked with a recruiter as a lateral, I had her specify in every contact with a firm that I was willing to pay the recruiter fee myself. I got a few interviews through the recruiter, but no offers, in case that matters at all either. But I ultimately got my current job on my own even though the position was also advertised through recruiters (so my lack of a recruiter fee might have played a factor). All speculative, but it might be something worth working out with your recruiter/specifying for this time and next time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just out of curiosity, are you talking about White & Case?
I am not. Op here

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:18 pm

As an initial matter, I would generally eschew using a recruiter for law clerk recruiting. I understand some people do it, but I really don't think it's necessary. Firms expect to hire law clerks.

I strongly advise against discussing the recruiting fee with the partner; it's presumptuous and inappropriate.

I would leave it as is and see what happens. Honestly, I think that if a firm really likes a candidate, the recruiting fee won't matter that much. Certainly it puts you at a disadvantage vis-à-vis other clerk candidates, but I think discussing it further would be worse. Also, if this doesn't work out, then wait a few months until the recruiting fee is no longer applicable and reapply. The position may be gone, but you never know. And stop making submissions through recruiters, especially giving permission orally.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”