Does Transferring Law Schools Hurt Chances? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Does Transferring Law Schools Hurt Chances?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:11 pm

I transferred from a TTTT :cry: to a T-14 :D and did extremely well. I am and have been applying for clerkships, and wanted to know if transferring was going to put me at a disadvantage and how to over come that if so.

Thank you!

Anonymous User

Re: Does Transferring Law Schools Hurt Chances?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:35 pm

Your milage will vary. It would be a tough break in certain quarters: As a rule, my chambers won’t hire transfers, barring extreme exceptions. Even into HLS, CLS, ect. Then again, we wouldn’t look at a TTT application either, without some compelling reason. So you’re probably equally situated before and after the transfer in that sense. Other chambers may hire differently. In general, for clerkships, you’re better off not transferring.

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:As a rule, my chambers won’t hire transfers, barring extreme exceptions.
Man that's pretty weird. If you don't mind me asking (ok if not), what's the rationale there? And does it only apply to transfers from lower-ranked schools, or would you be open to transfers who "start" at reasonably good schools and transfer to HYS or something? What about transfers from TTTs that go to a T14 and get good grades there too?

Not a transfer myself, but the ones I know at HLS are pretty impressive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Your milage will vary. It would be a tough break in certain quarters: As a rule, my chambers won’t hire transfers, barring extreme exceptions. Even into HLS, CLS, ect. Then again, we wouldn’t look at a TTT application either, without some compelling reason. So you’re probably equally situated before and after the transfer in that sense. Other chambers may hire differently. In general, for clerkships, you’re better off not transferring.
Is there an exception for Y?

Goldie

Bronze

Post by Goldie » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:31 am

I transferred from a T1 to a YSH school and did well there. I ended up with a COA clerkship (non 2/9/DC). One of the clerks later this year also transferred (from a T13 to a YSH school). So not all judges have such a firm rule against hiring transfers (although I was also unable to get interviews with some judges that I thought I would be competitive for).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”