NY Pro Bono Requirement Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
HopefulLawClerk

New

NY Pro Bono Requirement

Post by HopefulLawClerk » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:33 pm

Do hours from a clerkship satisfy the NY Pro Bono requirement or does compensation preclude it?

Thanks

TEIAM

Bronze

Re: NY Pro Bono Requirement

Post by TEIAM » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:17 pm

HopefulLawClerk wrote:Do hours from a clerkship satisfy the NY Pro Bono requirement or does compensation preclude it?

Thanks
I’m not sure what you’re asking? As a clerk, you do not provide clients legal services free of charge. So no, your job as a law clerk does not count as pro bono. You can satisfy the requirement through a law school clinic though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:55 pm

I was wondering about that too. The applicable rule talks about "Supervision required." - "In the case of a clerkship or externship in a court system, by a judge or attorney employed by the court system."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:35 pm

I was wondering about that too. The applicable rule talks about "Supervision required." - "In the case of a clerkship or externship in a court system, by a judge or attorney employed by the court system."

TEIAM

Bronze

Post by TEIAM » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:07 am

TEIAM wrote:
HopefulLawClerk wrote:Do hours from a clerkship satisfy the NY Pro Bono requirement or does compensation preclude it?

Thanks
I’m not sure what you’re asking? As a clerk, you do not provide clients legal services free of charge. So no, your job as a law clerk does not count as pro bono. You can satisfy the requirement through a law school clinic though.
I stand corrected. I re-read the rules and faq and you may be right. Without question, an externship with a judge counts. Additionally, post-graduate salaried work counts as long as it qualifies. So you’d be in the clear with a clerkship. Seems silly to me.

“28. May I count qualifying work performed in a full-time salaried position with a law firm, government agency or legal services provider following law school graduation?
Work performed during full-time legal employment prior to admission to the bar will satisfy the 50-hour Requirement if such activities otherwise comply with the definition of qualifying pro bono work. For instance, if you commence employment at a law firm after taking the bar examination and you are assigned to work with an attorney at the firm who is handling a pro bono case, your work on that pro bono litigation will qualify, provided that the client is not paying for the legal services.”

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:23 am

If you clerk outside NY, but wish to take the NY bar or have already taken, does that count or does the pro bono hours have to be in NY.

shantideva

New

Post by shantideva » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:If you clerk outside NY, but wish to take the NY bar or have already taken, does that count or does the pro bono hours have to be in NY.
Volunteer work does not have to be in NY.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:10 am

Thanks

Incidentally, I had the same question, and here is the response I received when I contacted ProBonoRule@nycourts.gov:

Both paid and unpaid legal work for a judge will qualify under the pro bono rule as long as you were properly supervised.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”