What are my chances? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

What are my chances?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:52 pm

I was hoping for some crowd-sourced wisdom.

What types of judges should I target with 6 Hs in large, black-letter courses (one of which is a DS) at HLS after a year and a half of grades? I would like a district court clerkship and a COA if I can land one. I know my chances at COA are slim. In general, does anyone know approximately what percentile I'm at?

Thanks in advance.

justanotherlurker

New

Re: What are my chances?

Post by justanotherlurker » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:19 pm

You're around or slightly above median GPA, according to anecdotal wisdom (e.g., that about 3-4 Hs is median going into EIP).

Your grades won't "wow" anyone, but they probably also won't disqualify you except with the most grade-conscious of judges. Strong recommendations, extracurriculars (journal, leadership in student orgs, etc.), and/or relevant and interesting work experience would all be pluses to help stand out from the pile.

You should apply broadly. If I were you, I'd start applying ASAP to district judges in your preferred geographic regions, and to COA judges to anywhere you'd be fine spending a year.

Be aware that a good number of judges are already full for the 2019-2020 term. Don't be discouraged. If you're planning on going to a law firm after graduation, apply for the 2020 term and spend a year at your firm first.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk specifics.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:25 am

Realistically, grades just are not there to be competitive in more desirable markets. Probably looking more at district court in flyover territory or a magistrate judge clerkship in more geographically desirable\competitive areas.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Realistically, grades just are not there to be competitive in more desirable markets. Probably looking more at district court in flyover territory or a magistrate judge clerkship in more geographically desirable\competitive areas.
This is a bit too pessimistic. People at median at HLS can get COA clerkships (I know some), although it's not guaranteed and you're unlikely to be successful in a desirable market without strong connections. You should not be applying to magistrate judges unless you're dead set on clerking in a specific, competitive market.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”