Anyone Know If Gould Is Still Hiring? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Anyone Know If Gould Is Still Hiring?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:03 pm

Does anyone know if Gould is still hiring for 2019-2020?

Also, does top 10% at a lower t13 give me a shot? What about other 9th Cir on West Coast...

Anonymous User

Re: Anyone Know If Gould Is Still Hiring?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:40 pm

Not sure if Gould is still hiring. But to your other question: that should give you a chance at some other 9th Cir. Judges and there should still be some availability for 19-20. I would say that a 9th cir Judge with connections to your school is your best shot.
Current clerk for a 9th cir Judge who tends to hire on the earlier end, and we finished within the past 2 months for that term (can’t give more details without outting).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:02 pm

Yes. (I have info beyond the fact that the OSCAR post is still open, but not saying more to avoid outing myself)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Yes. (I have info beyond the fact that the OSCAR post is still open, but not saying more to avoid outing myself)
Any info on how important diversity is to him? The app mentions that as a factor/encourages people from all backgrounds to apply...

Also, do you think sending in an app end of next week would be early enough?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:42 am

To the person who said he is still hiring, do you know if he has already given out any interviews/ started interviewing/ extended any offers? Any other information about where in the process he is?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yes. (I have info beyond the fact that the OSCAR post is still open, but not saying more to avoid outing myself)
Any info on how important diversity is to him? The app mentions that as a factor/encourages people from all backgrounds to apply...

Also, do you think sending in an app end of next week would be early enough?
CA 9 clerk here. I have no information on where Judge Gould is in his hiring process this year, but as far as diversity goes, it is important for him. Judge Gould has M.S. and uses a wheelchair, and tries to give opportunities to clerks with disabilities and other underrepresented groups. That being said, not being diverse is hardly a reason to not apply to clerk for him. Anecdotally I’ve heard he’s a very good boss. (If you end up interviewing with him, you should also know that he doesn’t travel for sittings: he appears for oral argument in person when it is in Seattle, and by videoconference when it is in the other cities where the 9th sits.)

To your other question, it’s definitely worth applying to the 9th with your stats as long as you keep your expectations reasonable. There are people with your resume who clerk on the 9th, but you’ll be facing competition for every judge from HYS applicants and from lower T13 applicants who finished higher in their class. I would focus on judges who have hired multiple clerks from your school in the past—every T13 school has at least one judge here that they have at least somewhat of a pipeline to. Connecting with past clerks from your school is always a good start.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”