Clerkship bonuses going up? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Clerkship bonuses going up?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:41 pm

Any advice on how to get a higher than market clerkship bonus when going back to a firm? I’m starting my second clerkship (district + circuit) and have an open offer from my summer firm giving me a $70k clerkship bonus. Do I just ask for more? Or should I interview and hopefully get an offer from a firm paying above market and try to leverage that into a higher clerkship bonus with my summer firm? Anyone with real experience doing that? Do you talk to a recruiter or an attorney on the hiring committee? Via phone or email? Also, any intel on what NY firms are quietly giving more than $70k to incoming associates with two clerkships?

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:23 pm

You'd improve your bargaining position by asking the firm to match the offer of a boutique or QE that pays more than market rather than just plain asking.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:16 pm

Are there firms that do not have a 1- or 2-year requirement/clawback? I've heard S&C -- any others?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are there firms that do not have a 1- or 2-year requirement/clawback? I've heard S&C -- any others?
In my (limited) experience, clawback provisions are the exception rather than the rule.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are there firms that do not have a 1- or 2-year requirement/clawback? I've heard S&C -- any others?
In my (limited) experience, clawback provisions are the exception rather than the rule.
Seriously? My impression is the opposite, that no-clawback is the exception.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”