Declining Summer firm post-clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Declining Summer firm post-clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:59 am

At the D.Ct. right now. I summered with a major firm in one major market but decided I wanted to go stay in the market where I am currently clerking. The firm has a large office there as well, but I decided to go with another firm because of fit and reputation in the new market. Now I have to tell the original firm I’m not going back. Anyone dealt with this experience and have recommendations?

Anonymous User

Re: Declining Summer firm post-clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:At the D.Ct. right now. I summered with a major firm in one major market but decided I wanted to go stay in the market where I am currently clerking. The firm has a large office there as well, but I decided to go with another firm because of fit and reputation in the new market. Now I have to tell the original firm I’m not going back. Anyone dealt with this experience and have recommendations?
I did this not too long ago. It was no big deal. I emailed their recruiting contact (the offer letter said I should get in touch with her), along with a couple of associates that I had developed a relationship with. Associates said stuff like "that's a great firm, congratulations." Recruiting person didn't even bother responding. This was a large office with a large summer class of people who have options—they know a significant percentage of their summers won't come back.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”