. Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
MrT

Bronze

Re: Do I have a shot at a District Clerkship?

Post by MrT » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:23 pm

FWIW, I got my clerkship with a similar GPA from a T30. That said, I received zero interest from judges in major cities. You may want to temper expectations.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:11 pm

Depends what rank a 3.5 is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:28 pm

Not OP but in the same boat. 2L, 3.67 GPA at MVP, secondary journal, born and raised in southern California, wondering what my chances are for D.Cts. in CA (would prefer CDCA but know that it's the most competitive in CA). Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:58 pm

I had similar stats and landed D.Ct. Some tips:

(1) Apply as broadly as you're comfortable.
(2) Flex your faculty connections. Are your recommenders tight with any judges? If not, will they make calls for you?
(3) Make sure to include anything unique about you in your resume. Judges are idiosyncratic and like different things in their clerks - backgrounds, languages, etc.
(4) If possible, consider getting an editing-heavy ed board spot on your journal (articles, notes, or EIC). Also, publish articles/notes/blogs/whatever you can.

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not OP but in the same boat. 2L, 3.67 GPA at MVP, secondary journal, born and raised in southern California, wondering what my chances are for D.Cts. in CA (would prefer CDCA but know that it's the most competitive in CA). Thanks in advance.
What rank is 3.67? If you're top 15-20%, you have an outside shot at CDCA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:33 pm

3.67 at MVP with strong Southern California ties (and ideally a SA position in LA) makes you competitive (but not a lock) for a C.D. Cal. clerkship. A lot of those judges want to hire clerks with 1-2 years of experience, for what that's worth.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”