Not clerking straight out of school? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Not clerking straight out of school?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:49 am

I know judges take into account more of the resume/transcript and classes than a firm, so I'm wondering what is relevant to a judge 2-3 years out of school. Will they still care about law review, GPA, etc., or will work experience be more relevant?

Anonymous User

Re: Not clerking straight out of school?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:18 pm

My judge would still take into account grades and legal writing experience.

JakeTappers

Bronze

Post by JakeTappers » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know judges take into account more of the resume/transcript and classes than a firm, so I'm wondering what is relevant to a judge 2-3 years out of school. Will they still care about law review, GPA, etc., or will work experience be more relevant?
Yes but generally—to the degree that exists—less so. Feeders and what not will still just as much, others less, and some judges almost not at all, if the experience is good. Also depends on type of court. Being an associate can really help at district level. Not as much at COA unless you’re in appellate practice.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know judges take into account more of the resume/transcript and classes than a firm, so I'm wondering what is relevant to a judge 2-3 years out of school. Will they still care about law review, GPA, etc., or will work experience be more relevant?
It's not that those things cease to matter, but they do matter less. Between two similarly situated applicants, except one has been out for 2-3 years working, the one with experience will have a strong edge. Also, more and more judges prefer postgraduation work experience, and, for those judges, law students are almost out of the running. But you'll still be competing with a lot of other alums with work experience, and grades, law review, etc. are still ways to make the absurdly fine distinctions involved in deciding who gets out of the pile or gets an interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:45 pm

We still care (about grades; journal not so much). If you have another clerkship with a judge that my judge respects, and that judge will offer a reference, that can get you in the door with a weaker 1L than we would normally accept.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:18 am

Unless the judge strongly prefers WE (in which law students are basically out of the running), it's just another factor the judge will consider. What weight they give to it will depend by judge.

Re feeders, do they actually look at people with WE? I was always sort of under the impression that to the extent they did, it's a D.Ct. clerkship, not WE at a firm.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:08 am

lolwat wrote:Unless the judge strongly prefers WE (in which law students are basically out of the running), it's just another factor the judge will consider. What weight they give to it will depend by judge.

Re feeders, do they actually look at people with WE? I was always sort of under the impression that to the extent they did, it's a D.Ct. clerkship, not WE at a firm.
Seems like most of the feeders still hire exclusively or almost exclusively straight out of law school or law students with a clerkship lined up for the year of graduation. There may be exceptions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”