Six Month Clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Six Month Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:27 pm

Hi all,
Just wanted to get TLS' view on my upcoming clerkship. I accepted a clerkship for six months with a district court judge in my town. Basically, she normally only does two year terms, but her current clerk needs to leave early. I interviewed with her and accepted the offer. She can't keep me on past six months, however, as she already has someone else slated to start in September. I'm a mid-level associate in a secondary market, btw.

Just a few questions for anyone with experience on this. 1) Is my clerkship going to be viewed as less prestigious by employers since it's only for six months? I don't really care, but just wanted to know if employers would view me as someone who couldn't get a year-long clerkship. 2) Will I receive a prorated clerkship bonus if I move to a new firm? Obviously a firm would be reluctant to give me a full bonus after only six months, but I think a prorated bonus seems fair. 3) Has anyone had success in networking with another judge for a longer clerkship after finishing a short, six month clerkship?

Thanks,
Andrew

axel.foley

Bronze

Re: Six Month Clerkship

Post by axel.foley » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:48 pm

I think if you express to the judge your interest in continuing to clerk after the 6 month period is over with another judge s/he should be able to help you out. The judge will also be aware that a 6 month clerkship is unusual and she may know another judge in the district or circuit with an opening.

kyle1978

New

Post by kyle1978 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:24 pm

If its the judge I'm thinking of (last name rhymes with Gin), I believe s/he will assist in helping you find another judge to clerk for. Not sure about the pro-rated $$$

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:28 pm

Thanks for the advice regarding securing a longer clerkship. Any other thoughts regarding comp and relative prestige of this short clerkship?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:13 pm

Any other thoughts? My practice group leader wasn't happy when I told him I was leaving and basically said this isn't a real clerkship and no one would think of it as such. Is he right? Am I just wasting my time?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any other thoughts? My practice group leader wasn't happy when I told him I was leaving and basically said this isn't a real clerkship and no one would think of it as such. Is he right? Am I just wasting my time?
The person who hires you upon completion of your clerkship will certainly not think that. Clerkships are amazing experiences, and there is a lot to be gained in 6 months. I think your major concern is people thinking you were fired.

YMMV, but I left my biglaw job for a temporary state court clerkship against the advice of everyone I knew. It was less prestigious, people will think you were fired, blah blah blah. I didn't really care. I knew I wanted to clerk and clerk in this particular market, so I jumped at the opportunity. I expressed to my judge, before accepting and again when I started, that I would like to clerk for a federal judge, and she said she would keep that in mind. A month after starting, out of nowhere, she called me into chambers and began going through her federal judge contacts. Within two weeks of that meeting, I secured a district clerkship. When I was reapplying to big law jobs, a few people asked me about the temporary clerkship. I pretty much said the same thing to them as I said here, minus the state judge putting me in touch with the federal judge. I definitely think the temporary clerkship caused some people to glance over my resume and not give me an interview, but there were enough that didn't, and I ultimately returned to big law with no drop in class or salary in the market I wanted.

Not everyone has two federal clerkship lined up immediately after law school!!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any other thoughts? My practice group leader wasn't happy when I told him I was leaving and basically said this isn't a real clerkship and no one would think of it as such. Is he right? Am I just wasting my time?
The person who hires you upon completion of your clerkship will certainly not think that. Clerkships are amazing experiences, and there is a lot to be gained in 6 months. I think your major concern is people thinking you were fired.

YMMV, but I left my biglaw job for a temporary state court clerkship against the advice of everyone I knew. It was less prestigious, people will think you were fired, blah blah blah. I didn't really care. I knew I wanted to clerk and clerk in this particular market, so I jumped at the opportunity. I expressed to my judge, before accepting and again when I started, that I would like to clerk for a federal judge, and she said she would keep that in mind. A month after starting, out of nowhere, she called me into chambers and began going through her federal judge contacts. Within two weeks of that meeting, I secured a district clerkship. When I was reapplying to big law jobs, a few people asked me about the temporary clerkship. I pretty much said the same thing to them as I said here, minus the state judge putting me in touch with the federal judge. I definitely think the temporary clerkship caused some people to glance over my resume and not give me an interview, but there were enough that didn't, and I ultimately returned to big law with no drop in class or salary in the market I wanted.

Not everyone has two federal clerkship lined up immediately after law school!!!
Thank you! This is actually very helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”