Bankruptcy Clerkship in DE/SDNY Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Frutsie

New

Bankruptcy Clerkship in DE/SDNY

Post by Frutsie » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:25 pm

Hi all,

I have an interview with a bankruptcy Judge in DE/SDNY. My goal is to eventually work in corporate restructuring. I have some good bankruptcy experience as it stands now. However, I went to a mediocre school and had mediocre grades (top 1/2). Would a clerkship in DE/SDNY enable me to make the jump to NY restructuring V100? Does anyone have any information on how good a bankruptcy clerkship from DE/SDNY really is. Is it equivalent to a flyover district clerkship?

Anonymous User

Re: Bankruptcy Clerkship in DE/SDNY

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:15 am

Former SDNY/DE BK clerk here. Yes, a SDNY/DE BK clerkship would let you land a job at a top restructuring group. I know of several SDNY/DE BK clerks (myself included) that landed at firms that they had no chance of landing at before the clerkship. Hard to compare it to flyover district court clerkship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Former SDNY/DE BK clerk here. Yes, a SDNY/DE BK clerkship would let you land a job at a top restructuring group. I know of several SDNY/DE BK clerks (myself included) that landed at firms that they had no chance of landing at before the clerkship. Hard to compare it to flyover district court clerkship.
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have a SDNY/DE bankruptcy clerkship lined up for next year and this is exactly what I want to do. If you don't mind sharing, when did you start applying? In your experience, does a SDNY/DE clerkship hold any/much weight outside of NY/DE?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:36 pm

Frutsie wrote:Hi all,

I have an interview with a bankruptcy Judge in DE/SDNY. My goal is to eventually work in corporate restructuring. I have some good bankruptcy experience as it stands now. However, I went to a mediocre school and had mediocre grades (top 1/2). Would a clerkship in DE/SDNY enable me to make the jump to NY restructuring V100? Does anyone have any information on how good a bankruptcy clerkship from DE/SDNY really is. Is it equivalent to a flyover district clerkship?
OP, I pm'd you. Current DE/SDNY clerk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Former SDNY/DE BK clerk here. Yes, a SDNY/DE BK clerkship would let you land a job at a top restructuring group. I know of several SDNY/DE BK clerks (myself included) that landed at firms that they had no chance of landing at before the clerkship. Hard to compare it to flyover district court clerkship.
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have a SDNY/DE bankruptcy clerkship lined up for next year and this is exactly what I want to do. If you don't mind sharing, when did you start applying? In your experience, does a SDNY/DE clerkship hold any/much weight outside of NY/DE?
I'm a current sdny/de clerk. I'd be happy to pm you if you post without Anon

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pandora12

New

Post by pandora12 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm a current sdny/de clerk. I'd be happy to pm you if you post without Anon
Can you PM me as well? I'm in the same boat.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Current SDNY/DE bankruptcy clerk here. Yes - clerking in one of those jurisdictions gives you an excellent shot at bankruptcy biglaw. Also, everyone in this field knows SDNY/DE are far and away the top bankruptcy jurisdictions. You can definitely take your clerkship experience back to a smaller market.

I think clerks start applying whenever, but my impression is that hiring starts at the beginning of the year and continues up to the end of your clerkship. In other words, I don't think there is much of a timeline - you apply until you get something.

Frutsie

New

Post by Frutsie » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:06 pm

Can any former DE/SDNY bankruptcy clerks PM me on job prospects post clerkship and when/how they started looking?

MichelleMichelle

New

Post by MichelleMichelle » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:16 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”