Pass Fails on Transcript Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Pass Fails on Transcript

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:23 pm

2L at T14 school. Got back a couple of B exam grades. Had an A- and B+ in other coursework. I know I'm going to burn at least one pass/fail to boost my GPA. Would it look bad to have more than one pass/fail in a semester for clerkship applications? Not shooting for anything hyper-competitive; probably looking at state courts not in DE, NY, CA, etc. and in federal courts close to or in my home region (not ND Cal., D.C. or anywhere like that). GPA isn't great; I'd be at around a 3.2-3.3 if I burn one pass fail.

Anonymous User

Re: Pass Fails on Transcript

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:30 pm

My judge wouldn't care about those pass/fails at all. But the B grades and overall GPA would be concerning. I think every chambers is different, though. Hard to say.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My judge wouldn't care about those pass/fails at all. But the B grades and overall GPA would be concerning. I think every chambers is different, though. Hard to say.
Original anon. Thanks for the input; I know my chances aren't great with my GPA, but my plan is to apply where I have ties and/or a reasonable shot grade wise.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:02 pm

When I see pass/fail for what should be a graded doctrinal class, it makes me suspicious. I know the same goes for my coclerks. Not sure if it'd hurt you if your resume got to the judge, but it'd be a reason to cull you if there other equally applicants are in the pile.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”