too old to clerk? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

too old to clerk?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:36 pm

2015 grad in big law. Thinking about applying to '19-'20 clerkships.

Bad move? Just want to do it for the learning opportunity. Also think it would look cool on my resume.

Long term goals are just big fed or more biglaw, but preference is big fed.

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Re: too old to clerk?

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2015 grad in big law. Thinking about applying to '19-'20 clerkships.

Bad move? Just want to do it for the learning opportunity. Also think it would look cool on my resume.

I can't speak with any authority to whether clerking is a bad move in regards to your long term goals but I can't imagine that it would be. As far as to old to clerk, I don't think there's such a thing. I'm in my early 30s and my judge has had clerks even in their 40s before. All straight from law school, we all just got there a little later than others.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:52 pm

I clerked three years out and then returned to Big Law. Haven't regretted clerking, or waiting to do so, for a second.

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:04 pm

You should consider that at this stage you're more likely looking for a 20-21 clerkship than a 19-20. Not sure if that changes the calculus at all, but it's something to keep in mind.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:16 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2015 grad in big law. Thinking about applying to '19-'20 clerkships.

I can't speak with any authority to whether clerking is a bad move in regards to your long term goals but I can't imagine that it would be. As far as to old to clerk, I don't think there's such a thing. I'm in my early 30s and my judge has had clerks even in their 40s before. All straight from law school, we all just got there a little later than others.
Lincoln wrote:I clerked three years out and then returned to Big Law. Haven't regretted clerking, or waiting to do so, for a second.
thanks to both of you. I think you've both given me that push i needed to go for it.
FascinatedWanderer wrote:You should consider that at this stage you're more likely looking for a 20-21 clerkship than a 19-20. Not sure if that changes the calculus at all, but it's something to keep in mind.
thanks, does this change anyone's opinion?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:52 pm

Graduated in 13. Clerked D.ct 16-17, COA in 17-18. Loved it, but depends on what your goals are. I have AUSA-only aspirations. If I can't get that, I want to make as much money as possible for as short as possible until I can. As posted elsewhere, I've applied to maybe 100 firms and received 3-4 callbacks and about 50 rejections. I've applied to maybe 30 AUSA offices and received 3 callbacks. Zero offers from either yet. Probably can return to my old biglaw firm, if there is capacity, but haven't asked yet.

Edit: if you are strictly talking about "age" as in 30+ or something, I don't think that matters at all.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:54 pm

I assume the question more accurately like "too far out of law school to clerk" rather than "too old" implying age.

Apply NOW if you're going to do it. There are plenty of judges who value (or even only hire) applicants who have some experience, but my impression is there seems to be at least a soft upper limit to that. 1-3 years out seems to be very common. But you'd be what, at a 5th year level by the time you clerk? I think that's starting to hit the soft cap.

Of course, your post-clerkship employment prospects is another matter that you need to consider.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”