Writing Sample for Law Firms/Post-Clerkship Hiring Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Writing Sample for Law Firms/Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:08 pm

Starting to apply for post-clerkship positions and have noticed some firms request writing samples. What do people typically submit ? I'm not sure I feel comfortable submitting any work I have produced for my judge, but would prefer not to submit work produced during law school as my writing has improved significantly.

Anonymous User

Re: Writing Sample for Law Firms/Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Starting to apply for post-clerkship positions and have noticed some firms request writing samples. What do people typically submit ? I'm not sure I feel comfortable submitting any work I have produced for my judge, but would prefer not to submit work produced during law school as my writing has improved significantly.
You should ask your job or career clerk. I think my judge allows us to use slightly altered bench memos.

Mobster1983

New

Re: Writing Sample for Law Firms/Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Mobster1983 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:24 pm

I used a memo I wrote as an extern for a State SC justice where the names were removed (replaced with John/Jane Does). You will need to ask your Judge's permission, because it is essentially her work product, and likely sanitize the document. I am in a clerkship now where I deal with a fair amount of habeas petitions, so I plan to use one of these new memos for post-clerkship applications.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”