Logistics of moving for a year Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Logistics of moving for a year

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:03 pm

This may be a dumb question, but I was just wondering about the logistics of moving for only one year. Currently, my driver’s license, car insurance, and license plates are all in the state where I go to law school. I’ll be clerking in a neighboring state beginning in August for one year, then returning to my old state, where I’ve accepted a post-clerkship offer from a firm. Do I have to change my license, insurance, and license plates to the state I’ll be clerking in for a year? Thanks in advance!

Anonymous User

Re: Logistics of moving for a year

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:36 pm

Most states laws say that you have to (having done this twice myself for clerkships) but I never did. Without that law school term, intent to remain, I don't think its that big of a deal. I used my state's drivers license for various things in the other state for a year and didn't change my plates from the second state to the third. Insurance I did but it was super easy.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:16 pm

Just keep in mind that if your tags/DL expire during the year you will have to either go home to get new ones (requiring a local address) or get them in your new state.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:21 pm

It's not a dumb question. My experience was similar to that of 3:36 p.m. anon. It wouldn't be a bad idea to ask former out-of-state clerks of the judge what they did--it might give you a sense of whether state officials (or city cops) are likely to give you a hard time about an out-of-state plate or registration. But if you're just staying for 12 months you'll probably be fine.

Oh, and regardless of whether you change your registration and plates, make sure to update your residential address for your insurance. Failure to do so may give your insurance company grounds not to cover you in the event you have an accident.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:13 am

I'm clerking for two years. I was planning to not change over for as long as I could, but my home state notified me that they were cancelling my driver's license because my auto insurance was from another state.(I had to switch my insurance over) That forced my hand.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”