SDNY/EDNY Clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

SDNY/EDNY Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:48 am

I'm currently C/O 2018. If I want to clerk after working for a few years, should I start applying now? How should I work into my application the fact that I want to clerk after getting some work experience... 2ish years from now?

Also, do I even have a shot? Currently top 5% at a T20, might be in summa range depending on how this semester goes. I can probably get some decent rec letters from professors, and I'm doing an externship with a fed judge in the Spring so I'm hoping I can get a good rec from that judge. Law review e-board (editing position, if that matters), but no publications.

Work experience will be patent lit. Would that be valuable for judges that have a sizable patent docket?

I'd only apply NYC fed courts because I really want to clerk, but not enough to move away for a year (will be moving to NYC with an SO and I don't want to make her move with me for a 1-2 year clerkship that isn't all that necessary). Would a magistrate clerkship be a good idea for the experience, or is that not really worth trying for?

If I don't have a shot, which is probably the case, I won't bother applying, but if I do, do I have to apply now-ish or can I wait until my stub year next year? Would I have to apply for 2021 if I wait till my stub year?

Last question, my fed courts grade is my lowest grade in law school and somewhat embarrassing. Is that going to hurt me?

Anonymous User

Re: SDNY/EDNY Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:55 am

Most chambers will not care about the Fed Courts grade since your other grades are stellar. You have a shot at both SDNY/EDNY. You should be applying now for both the 19-20 and 20-21 term.

You need not wait for your stub year to apply. And idk who on SDNY/EDNY has a patent heavy docket. I wasn’t aware that that was the case for any of them. Definitely not my judge

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Most chambers will not care about the Fed Courts grade since your other grades are stellar. You have a shot at both SDNY/EDNY. You should be applying now for both the 19-20 and 20-21 term.

You need not wait for your stub year to apply. And idk who on SDNY/EDNY has a patent heavy docket. I wasn’t aware that that was the case for any of them. Definitely not my judge
My chambers and ones whose clerks I talk with don't have a lot of patent work. I know a whole slew of chambers (including mine) have finished with 2019-20 hiring, but if you are looking for 2020-21, you still have time. (I would apply after you get fall grades and try again when you get your last set in then spring.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:25 pm

If it matters any, there are a few judges in DNJ that have patent heavy dockets. This is also the case for a few judges in D. Mass. Obviously not EDNY/SDNY prestige, but if you're interested in it, it may be a way to go. Additionally, there is at least one judge in DDC that handles a lot of patent cases and you're competitive with there just as you are with EDNY/SDNY.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:44 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'd only apply to SDNY/EDNY because I don't want to/can't really move--otherwise, I'd definitely apply very broadly.

Unfortunately, I don't have any professors that can make a call (I think, not sure). Is OSCAR my best bet for applying?

Frankly, 20-21 would actually be ideal for me I think.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'd only apply to SDNY/EDNY because I don't want to/can't really move--otherwise, I'd definitely apply very broadly.

Unfortunately, I don't have any professors that can make a call (I think, not sure). Is OSCAR my best bet for applying?

Frankly, 20-21 would actually be ideal for me I think.
The reverse-commute to Newark from the city is not that bad....

From anecdotal discussions with friends, it seems like there's been a lot of movement in EDNY and SDNY in the last month or so for 2019 and 2020 (2019 mostly for senior judges), if that gives you an idea on timing.

Also, I wouldn't count on getting a rec letter from the judge you're interning for this spring. Recommendations from internships seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”