Circuit court clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Circuit court clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:42 pm

Hey all,

I was recently informed of an opening from a friend for a Circuit Court clerkship (fed, not state). I clerked for a year in the State Appellate level, graduated non-T14 from a solid regional in top 20% of class, did LR, and now work at a large respectable law firm in a city suburb. By the time the clerkship starts, I'll have about a year under my belt as a lit associate.

I know these things are dependent on a good amount of factors (i.e. judge, location, circuit, etc.), but I guess my question is, based on what you have read, do I have a good shot and is it worth my time? What kind of caliber applicants are we talking here?

Thanks all, any help is appreciated.

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Re: Circuit court clerkship

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:28 pm

I think you absolutely have a shot. My stats are nearly identical to yours - T30, top 20%, but no journal for me - and I got some attention from Circuit judges when I applied as an alumni candidate. I was applying so that I would start after two years with a regional firm; I ultimately only did a district clerkship and then moved on.

You will have your work cut out for you and it won't be a sure thing (I mean even for the strongest of applicants no single clerkship application is), but I think it's definitely worth your time to apply. I'm sure you'll be competing against some top 5% T14 types, but you never know what factors the judge will prioritize - your experience and, if applicable, your local ties could be huge pluses.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:05 pm

Don't count yourself out. Going purely by credentials, you're a long shot, but I've seen similarly situated applicants get COA jobs. If your friend is a current or former clerk of the judge in question and is willing to vouch for you (and I presume if that's the case it's because your friend knows that the judge wouldn't rule you out based on your credentials), you've got a strong shot at an interview and the job.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:33 pm

Yeah, worth it for the cost and time of an app.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:39 am

OP here.

Thanks for the advice guys. That seems to be the consensus with some of my colleagues as well. I appreciate it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”