Length of Time Searching for Clerkship? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Length of Time Searching for Clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:19 pm

Curious to hear how long TLSers searched for a clerkship before actually landing one. I'm sure YMMV, and a lot of it is random. But I've been clerkship hunting for 9 months now, and struck out on the only D.Ct. nibble I had. For context: '17 T14 graduate with median grades in big law. Pondering how long I should spend applying before realizing the ship has sailed.

HillandHollow

Bronze

Re: Length of Time Searching for Clerkship?

Post by HillandHollow » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:35 pm

I guess from first application to accepted offer took about 7-8 months. But, there are a few things worth mentioning. I sent the bulk of my apps in months 4-5, and all of my interviews came from those apps. The one to the judge who offered me went out in month 5 or 6, I think. Also, I got better at it over time, so the first several were garbage compared to my later submissions. I’m pretty sure that I didn’t have any interview offers from packets that went out in the first three months (prompting me to review and improve my application).

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:03 am

I took a long time in total (more than a year, probably), but didn’t do it intensively for a while. It also depends on how broadly you’re applying.

ernie

Bronze

Post by ernie » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:32 pm

Took me 14 months. Got basically zero interest until the last couple months when a professor went to bat for me. I wish I had asked him earlier, would have saved me a lot of time!

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:52 pm

For me it was only about 2 months, but I think a factor that really helped me was timing. I started applying in mid-January a year and a half before my intended clerkship. To me, this seemed like the prime time to send applications, even if a decent number of judges would seemingly accept applications in January/February and then not really do anything with them for several months.

Disclaimer: this was in 2014; I know the timeline is pretty much always changing so maybe my advice is old news.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:26 pm

It took me 6 months. But I go to a small regional school, sent out 60 apps and only got 2 interviews (both were based on connections). I was applying for 2018 and 2019, ended up with a clerkship for 2020 that I am incredibly excited about. The biggest thing I learned is you have to be flexible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”