Clerkship "contingent on funding" Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Clerkship "contingent on funding"

Post by OutoftheWoods » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:15 pm

What does a clerkship "contingent on funding" mean practically? I saw a judge posted a position like this and I'm not sure exactly the likelihood of funding not being approved. This would be a 3rd law clerk position for them for the same term, if that helps. This seems too risky to me because funding can basically be taken out last minute whenever Trump (or hopefully someone else in office by then) institutes a random freeze like what happened earlier in the year.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Clerkship "contingent on funding"

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:31 pm

If it's a district court judge, they normally only get two clerks, so it sounds like they've applied for some kind of funding to get an extra one (probably based on workload or something?), and want to have them lined up for if the funding comes through. It's a term position - if they get the money to hire you it won't get yanked partway through the term, they just wouldn't get more funding in future.

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:44 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:If it's a district court judge, they normally only get two clerks, so it sounds like they've applied for some kind of funding to get an extra one (probably based on workload or something?), and want to have them lined up for if the funding comes through. It's a term position - if they get the money to hire you it won't get yanked partway through the term, they just wouldn't get more funding in future.
That’s right. Once the position is funded, it’s likely secure. The money often comes from a grant from the Admin Office of the Courts or the district in these scenarios so you need not worry too much about federal politics pulling the money for one reason or another.

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Post by OutoftheWoods » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:10 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:If it's a district court judge, they normally only get two clerks, so it sounds like they've applied for some kind of funding to get an extra one (probably based on workload or something?), and want to have them lined up for if the funding comes through. It's a term position - if they get the money to hire you it won't get yanked partway through the term, they just wouldn't get more funding in future.
Thanks. Yeah, it's a district judge. Interviews aren't starting until Feb allegedly, so *maybe* it's so far ahead because funding approval will come in around then.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:26 am

My court sometimes had positions like this, although usually shorter than a full year, and what everyone else is saying sounds right based on what I knew about those positions - once the funding is given to a district and the district designates it for a particular position, the person selected to fill that position is pretty much in the same boat as any other law clerk.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pure Applesauce

Bronze

Post by Pure Applesauce » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:32 pm

District judges normally only get two clerks? Most I know of have three. Didn't realize most have only two

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:48 pm

Pure Applesauce wrote:
District judges normally only get two clerks? Most I know of have three. Didn't realize most have only two
Two clerks and a JA. It may be that some hire a clerk to serve the JA role. Also I think chief judges often get a third.

hdivschool

Bronze

Post by hdivschool » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:02 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Pure Applesauce wrote:
Two clerks and a JA. It may be that some hire a clerk to serve the JA role. Also I think chief judges often get a third.
Committee chairs might also get an additional clerk.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”