COA worth it? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

COA worth it?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:16 pm

Current district court clerk interested in applying for elite litigation boutiques. From what I've seen on firm bios, a fair number of associates also seem to have a COA clerkship under their belts. Looks like I've missed the boat for 2019 hiring, so any COA clerkship would have to start in 2020, by which time, I'll be around 5-6 years out of law school. I don't have any particular interest in appellate work, but can't tell if a COA clerkship is a de facto requirement. If I don't do one, would that significantly affect my chances at a lit boutique? And if I do end up doing one, would the fact that I'll have been out of law school for that long also affect my chances one way or the other? Thanks all.

daedalus2309

Bronze

Re: COA worth it?

Post by daedalus2309 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:19 pm

Can't answer other questions, but I think positions starting in summer 2019 are still out there. 2L's won't apply to most of those until their fall 2017 grades are out. Feeders are done though.

I would think your seniority is probably a more important factor at this point, for better and for worse.

Disclaimer: I'm a dumbass

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:58 pm

Also I would think your stats would be determinative. If you don't have stats for the top shops, adding a CoA isn't really going to help.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Current district court clerk interested in applying for elite litigation boutiques. From what I've seen on firm bios, a fair number of associates also seem to have a COA clerkship under their belts. Looks like I've missed the boat for 2019 hiring, so any COA clerkship would have to start in 2020, by which time, I'll be around 5-6 years out of law school.
The "elite litigation boutiques" generally don't hire applicants who are 5-6 years out of law school.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:22 pm

In your situation, it's not worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:07 am

OP here. Responses were helpful -- thanks!

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:08 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Current district court clerk interested in applying for elite litigation boutiques. From what I've seen on firm bios, a fair number of associates also seem to have a COA clerkship under their belts. Looks like I've missed the boat for 2019 hiring, so any COA clerkship would have to start in 2020, by which time, I'll be around 5-6 years out of law school.
The "elite litigation boutiques" generally don't hire applicants who are 5-6 years out of law school.
This. Although, if you aren't getting interviews with the most commonly named TLS "elite litigation boutiques" that generally don't hire applicants 5-6 years out of law school, it could be worth doing the COA clerkship and applying to other "elite litigation boutiques" that aren't quite as well-known around TLS, and which prefer (or even require) actual litigation experience. I suspect by that time, a COA clerkship really isn't going to bump your chances, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”