Follow up with other judges re: interview? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Follow up with other judges re: interview?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:44 pm

I have an upcoming interview with a respected CoA judge. I put several applications in a couple of weeks ago with other judges expected to move in the next month or two. Can I ping their chambers to notify them about my upcoming interview? If so, do I drop the judges name, their circuit, or just say "another judge"? Thanks

Lincoln

Silver

Re: Follow up with other judges re: interview?

Post by Lincoln » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:49 pm

What would be the purpose of pinging them? If the other judges are in the same courthouse and you are writing to ask for an interview around the same time, I would mention the name of the first judge. If you are writing to say "Dear 2d Cir judge, I have an interview with a 5th Cir judge because I'm amazing," I would just not bother unless you already know they plan to interview you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:57 pm

Lincoln wrote:What would be the purpose of pinging them? If the other judges are in the same courthouse and you are writing to ask for an interview around the same time, I would mention the name of the first judge. If you are writing to say "Dear 2d Cir judge, I have an interview with a 5th Cir judge because I'm amazing," I would just not bother unless you already know they plan to interview you.
OP here - hope is that I would be able to get an interview with another judge that I might prefer

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:02 pm

I think that only works, as noted, if you know the other judge wants to interview you and you want to push it up to get it done before the other interview. You could call up to find out where the judge is in their hiring process, maybe, but more for your info so you can weigh your options - if you tell them you have another interview they’re most likely to say “that’s great, good luck.”

If it is the same courthouse then that gives you a reason to ask them to consider your application now. But otherwise I wouldn’t. So basically, what Lincoln said.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:23 pm

Thirded. Unless you're already on their radar, they're pretty unlikely to make a special trip to the app pile just for you. (In some chambers I suspect your request wouldn't even make it to the judge.) There will almost certainly be enough qualified candidates in the pile whenever they choose to look.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rhododactylos

New

Post by rhododactylos » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:51 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I think that only works, as noted, if you know the other judge wants to interview you and you want to push it up to get it done before the other interview. You could call up to find out where the judge is in their hiring process, maybe, but more for your info so you can weigh your options - if you tell them you have another interview they’re most likely to say “that’s great, good luck.”

If it is the same courthouse then that gives you a reason to ask them to consider your application now. But otherwise I wouldn’t. So basically, what Lincoln said.
Another data point--I was able to use an interview from one judge to get an in-person interview with another judge who had phone-screened me months earlier but had been radio silent since. The judges were in different states but were in the same general geographic area.

Goldie

Bronze

Post by Goldie » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:41 pm

I was able to do this with other judges on the same circuit. I was going to law school in a different geographical area, and a judge on my home circuit invited me to interview. I was able to schedule three additional interviews with other judges on the same circuit (but not all in the same state) that I had applied to. I had a fourth judge who would have tried to schedule an interview except that he was out of town that week. I had only had contact with one of those four additional judges before then.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:01 pm

How did you word it? Just curious.

rhododactylos

New

Post by rhododactylos » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:40 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:How did you word it? Just curious.
I followed up on an email chain with one of the clerks from a week before, where I had sent a general letter of continuing interest and had been told the judge wasn't going to be making any decisions for a while:

Dear Clerk,

I wanted to reach out to let you know that I will be flying [direction] to interview with Judge Y of the Z Circuit next week. I know that Judge X will not be making decisions until later this year, but if s/he would be interested in meeting with me, I would be able to stop in City on my way to or from my interview with Judge Y.

Thanks,

Rhododactylos

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:50 pm

Thanks. (That seems more in the vein of "I'm going to be in the area, would you like to interview me?" which I think is pretty common, but I guess the dividing lines aren't that clear.)

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:57 pm

rhododactylos wrote: Dear Clerk,

I wanted to reach out to let you know that I will be flying [direction] to interview with Judge Y of the Z Circuit next week. I know that Judge X will not be making decisions until later this year, but if s/he would be interested in meeting with me, I would be able to stop in City on my way to or from my interview with Judge Y.

Thanks,

Rhododactylos
That's about as well as something like this can be done. Some judges might find it a little off-putting, but it could work for certain judges, as it did for Rhododactylos.

Goldie

Bronze

Post by Goldie » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:41 am

I called chambers but I used very similar wording.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:51 pm

So I’m kind of picking nits, I realize, but I feel like if you can spin it as part of your travel to a general region you’re going to have better luck than if not. So saying “I’m traveling to Miami to interview with Judge X and can interview with you in Orlando/other SE location before flying back” is going to be received differently than “Dear Judge sitting in Atlanta, I wanted to update my application to let you know that I have an interview with Judge X in California, but would still be interested in working for you.” There may well be a way to handle the latter that helps you, but it’s a bit trickier.

Goldie

Bronze

Post by Goldie » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:33 pm

I totally agree.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”