condescending fellow clerks Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
MKC

Diamond

Re: condescending fellow clerks

Post by MKC » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:14 pm

Love you too Nony.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:25 pm

You know part of it might be unintentional also. In my courthouse, mag clerks often inadvertently get left off the happy hour emails. It's not bc the district clerks are trying to be snobbish-- it's just that we inherited a list serv from previous clerks and whoever updated it was too lazy to add the mags (there's a ton of them, so somewhat excusable I suppose).

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:28 pm

Can we get more about how HLS grads suck

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:48 pm

If I was a clerk and a fellow clerk was condescending towards me, I'd whoop their ass.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:53 pm

radio1nowhere wrote:Can we get more about how HLS grads suck
sadly, titcr

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:19 pm

Every HLS grad I know realizes it was a mistake not to go to a T14 for a free ride/huge aid and is angry.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:23 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
sadly, titcr
In my experience, YLS grads are far and away more snooty, condescending, and entitled than any group of people I've ever met. There are individual exceptions, but they are few and far between.

But yes, OP, just ignore them. If they're not your co-clerks, they're easily avoided.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:39 pm

quiver wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
sadly, titcr
In my experience, YLS grads are far and away more snooty, condescending, and entitled than any group of people I've ever met. There are individual exceptions, but they are few and far between.

But yes, OP, just ignore them. If they're not your co-clerks, they're easily avoided.
Sounds a lot like an HLS student/grad. The HLS clerks in my (2/9/DC) court are some of the most prestige-obsessed people I've met, whereas the YLS kids are just derpy lol.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
quiver wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
sadly, titcr

Sounds a lot like an HLS student/grad. The HLS clerks in my (2/9/DC) court are some of the most prestige-obsessed people I've met, whereas the YLS kids are just derpy lol.
FWIW, I did not go to HLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:22 pm

Jumping on the HLS vs. YLS bandwagon. I've only worked with one YLS and one HLS grad, but can confirm the YLS grad was SUPER awkward, but not condescending at all, while the HLS grad was definitely snooty (though not really condescending... just, one of those guys who bikes everywhere and is super annoyed that more people in Manhattan don't tweet enough about "biker's rights" or whatever).

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:15 pm

For whatever it's worth, my experience has been that most SLS grads are remarkably well-adjusted and personable and that most YLS grads are nerdy and awkward but generally nice. I, like many of you, also thought most of my classmates at HLS were obnoxious in one way or another.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:00 pm

Adding to the anecdotal data here: during my post-1L job in New York, I mentioned to a fellow 1L associate (who was from YLS) that I was from "Michigan." He kind of nodded and just drifted off. A few days later, he came up to me and told me, "oh, when you said 'Michigan' I thought you meant Michigan State, I didn't realize you actually went to U of Michigan."

He then explained to me that he was a Michigan local, where the lingo apparently is that you say "U Mich" to refer to that law school and just "Michigan" to refer to that one. And he was then a little more friendly towards me. I guess being in the T14 really helped me out there. SO glad that got cleared up.

nevdash

Bronze

Post by nevdash » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:49 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
los blancos wrote:I would be shocked to actually hear something like that but when you think about it it's really not surprising at all that the most selective jobs in this profession are filled with terrible human beings.
I'll never forget the top student in my 1L class at a T20. He transferred to HLS. I can only hope that he brought his mechanical keyboard into those exams too.
Dude, that's alpha as fuck. Did he go out to eat afterwards and order some sizzling fajitas?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:02 pm

So are immediate post-grad Clerkships just like a fourth year of Law School or what?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:17 pm

In what way? You have to get up every day and go to work 9-5 (or more) so not really like law school.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:22 pm

nevdash wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
los blancos wrote:I would be shocked to actually hear something like that but when you think about it it's really not surprising at all that the most selective jobs in this profession are filled with terrible human beings.
I'll never forget the top student in my 1L class at a T20. He transferred to HLS. I can only hope that he brought his mechanical keyboard into those exams too.
Dude, that's alpha as fuck. Did he go out to eat afterwards and order some sizzling fajitas?
Dude, you know you feel like a boss when they walk out with those fajitas and everyone's staring.

Also, just wanted to jump in and say that in my experience, the stereotypes are pretty much true for the most part. YLS students are extremely socially awkward and inept. Columbia students are stressed out, humorless, and overworked. SLS students are flower-children. And HLS students are condescending asses. The moral of this story is that law students pretty much suck.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:44 pm

star fox wrote:So are immediate post-grad Clerkships just like a fourth year of Law School or what?
For appellate at least, it's a fourth year with one class of legal research and writing, all day err day.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:25 am

star fox wrote:So are immediate post-grad Clerkships just like a fourth year of Law School or what?
I wish. Not at all.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:19 am

I have heard of clerks being very condescending about proper Bluebook format, which is lol

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:24 am

I think I've come to the conclusion that if anyone actually wants a clerkship experience that will make them a better litigator, they should clerk for a mag. They see all the real action.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:26 am

Nebby wrote:I think I've come to the conclusion that if anyone actually wants a clerkship experience that will make them a better litigator, they should clerk for a mag. They see all the real action.
But rarely trials.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:52 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Nebby wrote:I think I've come to the conclusion that if anyone actually wants a clerkship experience that will make them a better litigator, they should clerk for a mag. They see all the real action.
But rarely trials.
True! Because trials are so common in most people's practice :mrgreen:

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:57 am

Nebby wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
But rarely trials.
For some of us they are.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:59 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Nebby wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
But rarely trials.
For some of us they are.
I said most people!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:00 am

What does a d clerk get that they can't if they just went and watched trials?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”