Updating Clerkship Application: When, Why, How Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Updating Clerkship Application: When, Why, How

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:33 pm

GENERALLY:
What is the best way to update a judge regarding your application? What type of information--besides for a new set of grades--warrants an update?

SPECIFICALLY:
I am a BigLaw associate who recently started applying to clerkships all over the country. Due to family reasons (a fiance being asked to move across the country), I would like to secure a clerkship immediately in a new city. I've already applied to two clerkships in this area for the end of 2017, and it does not seem like the positions are filled (they only recently opened). I made it clear that I was willing to move, but did not share information about my fiance's move because it was not available at the time. Is this worth an update? I otherwise have no ties to this area, and it may seem odd that I am willing to move so suddenly.

Normal human me wants to email chambers/deputy clerk/etc to emphasize my willingness to relocate, but I know that's not the world we live in.

runinthefront

Gold

Re: Updating Clerkship Application: When, Why, How

Post by runinthefront » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:GENERALLY:
What is the best way to update a judge regarding your application? What type of information--besides for a new set of grades--warrants an update?

SPECIFICALLY:
I am a BigLaw associate who recently started applying to clerkships all over the country. Due to family reasons (a fiance being asked to move across the country), I would like to secure a clerkship immediately in a new city. I've already applied to two clerkships in this area for the end of 2017, and it does not seem like the positions are filled (they only recently opened). I made it clear that I was willing to move, but did not share information about my fiance's move because it was not available at the time. Is this worth an update? I otherwise have no ties to this area, and it may seem odd that I am willing to move so suddenly.

Normal human me wants to email chambers/deputy clerk/etc to emphasize my willingness to relocate, but I know that's not the world we live in.
Judges, for the most part, assume you'd be willing to relocate to their chambers if offered. I don't think this is worth an update.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:43 pm

I agree. I would actually definitely include it in future applications, but I wouldn't update to add this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:46 pm

Thanks to you both for the prompt replies.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”