2017-2018 Post-Clerkship Hiring Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2017-2018 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I saw (several posts up) people referring to Arnold & Porter screeners and callbacks. What's the difference for us clerks? Aren't all of these interviews callbacks? Or does A & P have two or more rounds?
I had two rounds of A&P interviews in-office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I saw (several posts up) people referring to Arnold & Porter screeners and callbacks. What's the difference for us clerks? Aren't all of these interviews callbacks? Or does A & P have two or more rounds?
OP here. Thanks so much. What was the difference between the two rounds? To the extent you feel comfortable answering, did you get an offer? I was called in for what I guess is the first round. I've had several one round interviews with other firms, so I'm a little nervous at the prospect of more interview rounds.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OP here. Thanks so much. What was the difference between the two rounds? To the extent you feel comfortable answering, did you get an offer? I was called in for what I guess is the first round. I've had several one round interviews with other firms, so I'm a little nervous at the prospect of more interview rounds.
The first interview consisted of two 30 minute interviews and the second consisted of four 30 minute interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 08, 2018 8:28 am

So I know that clerkships allow us to apply for experienced-attorney positions in DOJ and other parts of the federal government. Anyone know when it would make sense to start applying for federal government jobs if interested? (If there is a posting of interest now, is it too early to be worth applying to start in the fall, post-clerkship?)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 08, 2018 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I know that clerkships allow us to apply for experienced-attorney positions in DOJ and other parts of the federal government. Anyone know when it would make sense to start applying for federal government jobs if interested? (If there is a posting of interest now, is it too early to be worth applying to start in the fall, post-clerkship?)
No. Depending on what background check is required, it may take a while. Also if the agency is interested in hiring clerks they may be willing to be flexible. The worst that happens is it doesn’t work out schedule-wise (but I’d be surprised if May to fall was insurmountable. Also if you get to that point in the process you’ll have made a good impression for the future).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:29 pm

Hey, all -

SDNY/EDNY/DDC clerk here.

Pretty soon I feel like I'll be posting in the vale of tears. I've applied to a broad range of NYC and DC firms, including cold e-mails and through receptions, and so far, nothing has come of it. I've gotten a handful of interviews, that have led to 0 job offers. I have some fairly resume points that might contribute to the offer rate, but can't say more without outing myself.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Are there any firms still hiring clerks? I was told a few months ago that, for instance, Fried Frank had completed its hiring, but I keep getting recruiter e-mails saying that they're looking for clerks.

Any thoughts, insight, or advice would be appreciated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:33 pm

AIII clerk from a flyover. I'm still searching despite being barred in multiple populous states and submitting 150+ apps in a number of major markets. You're not the only one out there. Just gotta keep applying! All it takes is one.

nnestelbaum

New

Post by nnestelbaum » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:45 pm

Has anyone heard anything from DLA Piper NYC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:44 pm

Currently clerking in NJ state court with approximately seven weeks left. I've been going on interviews since November and nothing has panned out so far. Very discouraging.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:57 am

At long last, after 8 months of searching, probably 100 applications, and dozens of interviews (the vast majority of which were unsuccessful), I finally landed at a wonderful relatively small office of a top amlaw firm.

To those fedclerks still searching, do not give up. You will find something. You’re a god damn US District Court Clerk and, at least in my medium to large market, litigation is white hot right now.

Good luck and thanks for all the encouraging posts on this thread!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Currently clerking in NJ state court with approximately seven weeks left. I've been going on interviews since November and nothing has panned out so far. Very discouraging.
I'm in the same boat except Fed Mag clerk. I've had several AIII clerkship interviews since last fall, no dice on any of them. I've also had an interview for a state's attorney position in the state where I'm barred, it was probably the worst interview I've ever had.

I'm beyond discouraged at this point. How bad does it look for a clerk not to get anything following the clerkship? It's already humiliating enough listening to the other clerks in the courthouse talk about what they're doing afterwards, and I just have stand there silent.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:01 pm

My co-clerk has been applying to places since late November. Struck out on half a dozen interviews since then. Had 4 interviews scheduled in the last 3 weeks and has received 2 offers. Withdrew from one. Didn't get one. It's NOT too late.

It's not too late.

It's not too late.

For what it's worth, the offers were from a biglaw firm (and not like a Lewis Brisbois/mostly insurance defense style biglaw firm--a really good one with a varied practice) and a well-regarded midlaw firm in our market.

It aint too late.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My co-clerk has been applying to places since late November. Struck out on half a dozen interviews since then. Had 4 interviews scheduled in the last 3 weeks and has received 2 offers. Withdrew from one. Didn't get one. It's NOT too late.

It's not too late.

It's not too late.

For what it's worth, the offers were from a biglaw firm (and not like a Lewis Brisbois/mostly insurance defense style biglaw firm--a really good one with a varied practice) and a well-regarded midlaw firm in our market.

It aint too late.
It's too late for people like me with no interviews on the horizon. I've been applying since last August and I've applied to about 200 positions. I've had FIVE interviews since then. That's a horrid response rate.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My co-clerk has been applying to places since late November. Struck out on half a dozen interviews since then. Had 4 interviews scheduled in the last 3 weeks and has received 2 offers. Withdrew from one. Didn't get one. It's NOT too late.

It's not too late.

It's not too late.

It aint too late.
It's too late for people like me with no interviews on the horizon. I've been applying since last August and I've applied to about 200 positions. I've had FIVE interviews since then. That's a horrid response rate.
No. It's not too late. What about the "4 interviews scheduled in the last 3 weeks" did you not get? 2 of those four came from places she applied to less than a month ago. You have 7 weeks or so left. Make the most of it. Things always end up working out, right? How'd you land the clerkship in the first place?

By things working out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:41 pm

Just keep going. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It's not too late.

It's not too late.

It aint too late.
No. It's not too late. What about the "4 interviews scheduled in the last 3 weeks" did you not get? 2 of those four came from places she applied to less than a month ago. You have 7 weeks or so left. Make the most of it. Things always end up working out, right? How'd you land the clerkship in the first place?

By things working out.
Just to let you know, things didn't work out. I have a week left and struck out on all the interviews I had lined up. So no, things just don't "work out."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Currently clerking in NJ state court with approximately seven weeks left. I've been going on interviews since November and nothing has panned out so far. Very discouraging.
I'm in the same boat except Fed Mag clerk. I've had several AIII clerkship interviews since last fall, no dice on any of them. I've also had an interview for a state's attorney position in the state where I'm barred, it was probably the worst interview I've ever had.

I'm beyond discouraged at this point. How bad does it look for a clerk not to get anything following the clerkship? It's already humiliating enough listening to the other clerks in the courthouse talk about what they're doing afterwards, and I just have stand there silent.
Can you give a general, basic indication (while remaining anonymous) what District you're MJ clerking?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Can you give a general, basic indication (while remaining anonymous) what District you're MJ clerking?
It's in flyover country in the Midwest/South, but in the largest city in the state.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:13 pm

Anyone know anything about Reid Collins in Austin?

Mobster1983

New

Post by Mobster1983 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:18 pm

Just finished up my state court clerkship (thank goodness). Couple weeks off and starting with a Fed agency (non-DOJ) through the Honors program. Took about 8 months before finally receiving an offer and a couple months more for the background check before I received the "firm offer." Can't wait to get started as a real lawyer. :mrgreen:

clerking2018

New

Post by clerking2018 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:35 am

Any third tier law school clerks had any luck finding a post-clerkship position?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”