2017-2018 Post-Clerkship Hiring Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
foreversport

New

Re: 2017-2018 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by foreversport » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got a form rejection from Cleary Gottlieb. A firm that I received an offer from at OCI over three years ago. Clerkship recruiting is a joke.
Have had some similar things happen (I'm clerking as a mid-level so knew I would have a little bit of trouble, but still). For those waiting, I have been waiting 3 months from a NY firm and told not out of the running and 3.5 months from a Chicago firm that I haven't bothered to ask but assume ding). Got a ding from a different NY firm day after interview though.

I remember reading perilous posts the last two years but convincing myself for one reason or another that it wouldn't be me. After two clerkships and years at v20, I've got 4 firm interviews, 3 AUSA interviews, and doesn't look like any offers, with about 6 months to go. Probably applied for about 100 total firms (# includes some where i applied to 5 different offices separately). Dicey out there.
Do you mind sharing which AUSA offices you heard back from for interviews?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:25 pm

foreversport wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got a form rejection from Cleary Gottlieb. A firm that I received an offer from at OCI over three years ago. Clerkship recruiting is a joke.
Have had some similar things happen (I'm clerking as a mid-level so knew I would have a little bit of trouble, but still). For those waiting, I have been waiting 3 months from a NY firm and told not out of the running and 3.5 months from a Chicago firm that I haven't bothered to ask but assume ding). Got a ding from a different NY firm day after interview though.

I remember reading perilous posts the last two years but convincing myself for one reason or another that it wouldn't be me. After two clerkships and years at v20, I've got 4 firm interviews, 3 AUSA interviews, and doesn't look like any offers, with about 6 months to go. Probably applied for about 100 total firms (# includes some where i applied to 5 different offices separately). Dicey out there.
Do you mind sharing which AUSA offices you heard back from for interviews?
In general, I wouldn't. But I've only heard back definitively from one and its a relatively small office and would out me. The other two, I have yet to receive a decision from but am just not very confident, given how long its been (3 months since rd 2s).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Coming up on 3 weeks since my callbacks in NY. Starting to lose hope. Is it true that other people had to wait up to a month? More?
My co-clerk and I both received offers from different big NY firms after longer waits. I was coming up on 4 weeks, and he just heard this week after a callback in December. Don’t count yourself out!
Do you mind sharing which NY firms you and your co-clerk recently received offers from? Still waiting here.
Good to hear. I'd also love to hear the firms. If not, are you COA or DC? Competitive or flyover?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:54 pm

Get a clerkship, they said. It'll be fun, they said. So much prestige, they said. Firms will be competing for you, they said...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Coming up on 3 weeks since my callbacks in NY. Starting to lose hope. Is it true that other people had to wait up to a month? More?
My co-clerk and I both received offers from different big NY firms after longer waits. I was coming up on 4 weeks, and he just heard this week after a callback in December. Don’t count yourself out!
Do you mind sharing which NY firms you and your co-clerk recently received offers from? Still waiting here.
Good to hear. I'd also love to hear the firms. If not, are you COA or DC? Competitive or flyover?
Flyover COA. Fried Frank (I already reported the offer a few pages back) and Proskauer. We also received letters this week from Cohen Milstein, Keker, and Buckley Sanders, so there are clearly still firms looking to hire.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:52 pm

Any FF'ers just formally accept today? Finally got that ding and want to see if they were waiting to see if someone turned them down. lol at all of it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:28 pm

Received one offer ten days after interviewing, and at another place more than three weeks after interviewing, so it can vary. If no ding, you're likely still in the running.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:14 pm

For those who have been to these clerk receptions, do you bring portfolios with resumes or no?

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:19 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:For those who have been to these clerk receptions, do you bring portfolios with resumes or no?
I've been to about 5 so far, have never seen someone bring a resume

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:35 pm

any movement from Covington or Kirkland DC?

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:41 pm

minnbills wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:For those who have been to these clerk receptions, do you bring portfolios with resumes or no?
What happens at these?

TEIAM

Bronze

Post by TEIAM » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:48 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
minnbills wrote:
What happens at these?
You drink free booze, eat hors d'oeuvres, talk to lawyers, and talk to other clerks. They may even have a goodie bag for you.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:56 pm

TEIAM wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:
minnbills wrote:
What happens at these?
You drink free booze, eat hors d'oeuvres, talk to lawyers, and talk to other clerks. They may even have a goodie bag for you.
Don't forget the free umbrellas

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:05 pm

TEIAM wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:
minnbills wrote:
What happens at these?
Its exactly like the law school firm receptions but a more rarified crowd

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:27 am

For those who've gotten interviews at v20 or v30 NY firms after applying to a clerk-specific litigation associate posting: how quickly after submitting application materials did you hear from the firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:For those who've gotten interviews at v20 or v30 NY firms after applying to a clerk-specific litigation associate posting: how quickly after submitting application materials did you hear from the firm?
Two of them were just over a month and one of them was about three weeks. I think your wait time might depend more on when in the hiring season (say, early December vs. last week) you submitted your materials than simply how much time has passed since you submitted them. I submitted applications from early December to mid January and most of those places got back to me in the first two weeks of this month. It also seemed like several of the firms waited until after a clerks' cocktail reception to start sorting through resumes in earnest.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have heard Wheeler Trigg O now scheduling interviews.
Any idea when they started scheduling interviews? Thanks
Can't answer that, but it would seem emails went out in the last week or two.
At least some interviews have already happened.
Is this referring to in-person, phone, etc.? I have a first round Skye/Phone coming up but am kind of confused where that lands in the spectrum and what the full process is

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those who've gotten interviews at v20 or v30 NY firms after applying to a clerk-specific litigation associate posting: how quickly after submitting application materials did you hear from the firm?
Two of them were just over a month and one of them was about three weeks. I think your wait time might depend more on when in the hiring season (say, early December vs. last week) you submitted your materials than simply how much time has passed since you submitted them. I submitted applications from early December to mid January and most of those places got back to me in the first two weeks of this month. It also seemed like several of the firms waited until after a clerks' cocktail reception to start sorting through resumes in earnest.
Thanks, that's helpful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:40 pm

Did anyone hear anything from White & Case? I heard from a friend who interviewed there that this week was supposed to be decision week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:43 pm

Flyover (non DC/2/9) COA clerk here. Wondering if folks applying v10-v20 firms in major markets (LA, SF, DC, NYC) had firms offer to pay travel expenses from said flyover locale to major market? I've heard from fellow flyover clerk that not all firms pay expenses......is this true!?? If so :cry:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:26 pm

Do folks have a sense of whether any V20 or V30 firms (ny offices) have yet to start interviewing for post-clerkship associates?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have heard Wheeler Trigg O now scheduling interviews.
Any idea when they started scheduling interviews? Thanks
Can't answer that, but it would seem emails went out in the last week or two.
At least some interviews have already happened.
Is this referring to in-person, phone, etc.? I have a first round Skye/Phone coming up but am kind of confused where that lands in the spectrum and what the full process is
I also just got invited for the screener. Seems like they are moving pretty slowly though.

TEIAM

Bronze

Post by TEIAM » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Flyover (non DC/2/9) COA clerk here. Wondering if folks applying v10-v20 firms in major markets (LA, SF, DC, NYC) had firms offer to pay travel expenses from said flyover locale to major market? I've heard from fellow flyover clerk that not all firms pay expenses......is this true!?? If so :cry:
Are you really narrowing your search to 11 firms? I really hope you have a backup plan. Otherwise, that's bananas.

Every out-of-state firm I have interviewed with--both higher and lower Vs--have paid my travel expenses. I had to front the cost for one firm because the travel agency didn't do trains, but I was paid back a few weeks later.
Last edited by TEIAM on Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:00 pm

I am applying to below that too, more like 20 firms, but no V1-V10 for me!! Esp with all the form dings I've just gotten, UGH! :evil: If the firm gods are listening, I will pay my own way!! Pick me!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do folks have a sense of whether any V20 or V30 firms (ny offices) have yet to start interviewing for post-clerkship associates?
I know of at least 5-6 that have started interviewing and extending offers.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”