2017-2018 Post-Clerkship Hiring Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2017-2018 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Another friend is the head of recruiting (which baffles me since they graduated from a T-10 law school) at the home office of—a west coast based—big firm on the Cravath scale.
Why would that baffle you? Maybe he would rather be a Recruiter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Looking for a little advice.

I'm a fed appellate clerk with an offer from a great firm (v-15) known for its appellate practice. Recently I received an offer from a state's SG's office. The SG promised me I'd be arguing some of the state's most important appeals in front of the state's supreme court and the fed appellate court by the end of the year. Obviously the money is significantly less, but appellate work is my thing.

I'm pretty tempted by the SG's offer. Am I crazy to turn down biglaw? Would anybody else do this?
Yes, I would turn down an offer from Gibson Dunn to work for my state's SG office.
I went to a state SG straight from my clerkship, but I know it will be only be for a short period of time for financial reasons. I love it and have had way better experience (I think) than if I had gone to a law firm. If I could afford to make a career of it at this point, I'd be tempted.
Listen to these guys, dude. You don’t somehow become less marketable after arguing on behalf of a state.
You don't think it might be quite difficult to land biglaw later at a firm like GDC after you turn down those firms post-law school or post-clerkship? I've heard the ideal path is 1-2 years clerking --> 2-3 years biglaw --> your ideal gov't work (perhaps that is state SG's office) for 5-10 years --> back to biglaw as a partner.
Im curious, what do you think the criteria is at firms like GDC, Skadden, or Latham for being elevated to parter? Your question and hypothetical timeline suggest that we’re not all working from the same basic understanding about how law firms or businesses work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Another friend is the head of recruiting (which baffles me since they graduated from a T-10 law school) at the home office of—a west coast based—big firm on the Cravath scale.
Why would that baffle you? Maybe he would rather be a Recruiter.
This is a real question? That’s a lot of brutal work and expensive loans that are TOTALLY UNNECESSARY if they want to be a recruiter. You have trouble seeing why anyone would be baffled by that career trajectory?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm a fed appellate clerk with an offer from a great firm (v-15) known for its appellate practice. Recently I received an offer from a state's SG's office. The SG promised me I'd be arguing some of the state's most important appeals in front of the state's supreme court and the fed appellate court by the end of the year. Obviously the money is significantly less, but appellate work is my thing.

I'm pretty tempted by the SG's offer. Am I crazy to turn down biglaw? Would anybody else do this?
Yes, I would turn down an offer from Gibson Dunn to work for my state's SG office.
I went to a state SG straight from my clerkship, but I know it will be only be for a short period of time for financial reasons. I love it and have had way better experience (I think) than if I had gone to a law firm. If I could afford to make a career of it at this point, I'd be tempted.
Listen to these guys, dude. You don’t somehow become less marketable after arguing on behalf of a state.
You don't think it might be quite difficult to land biglaw later at a firm like GDC after you turn down those firms post-law school or post-clerkship? I've heard the ideal path is 1-2 years clerking --> 2-3 years biglaw --> your ideal gov't work (perhaps that is state SG's office) for 5-10 years --> back to biglaw as a partner.
Im curious, what do you think the criteria is at firms like GDC, Skadden, or Latham for being elevated to parter? Your question and hypothetical timeline suggest that we’re not all working from the same basic understanding about how law firms or businesses work.
Firms like GDC, Skadden, and Latham all hire former AUSAs as partners. It is arguably easier to get a partner position that way than climbing up through the ranks internally as a generalist litigator.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:38 pm

Getting a little bummed out here. I am feeling limited by my personal lack of geographic flexibility and the fact that complex commercial and white collar lit just doesn’t seem super hot where I am. I also have a bit of experience as a prosecutor in addition to my fedclerk in this semi-major market (think a step below dc nyc).

I had callbacks at two different large firms and was cautiously optimistic about both, only to get dinged by both recently.

Looking like I’m going to end up staying the public sector course, which just seems like a waste (in terms of $$$) of this federal clerkship I have under my belt. I really think I would rather do something I enjoy (prosecution) than get stuck in midlaw, though.

Anybody else feel like litigation is just cold? Anybody else feeling limited by personal ties to one geographic location?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:20 pm

If you have good credentials and great district and circuit court clerkships, does law review matter at all for future boutique employment? I know grades will always matter, but would my chances at Susman/Keker/Munger decrease meaningfully? What about AUSA and other competitive government jobs?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Getting a little bummed out here. I am feeling limited by my personal lack of geographic flexibility and the fact that complex commercial and white collar lit just doesn’t seem super hot where I am. I also have a bit of experience as a prosecutor in addition to my fedclerk in this semi-major market (think a step below dc nyc).

I had callbacks at two different large firms and was cautiously optimistic about both, only to get dinged by both recently.

Looking like I’m going to end up staying the public sector course, which just seems like a waste (in terms of $$$) of this federal clerkship I have under my belt. I really think I would rather do something I enjoy (prosecution) than get stuck in midlaw, though.

Anybody else feel like litigation is just cold? Anybody else feeling limited by personal ties to one geographic location?
I know this isn't what you want to hear but perspective is important, lots of people would love to be in a position to do prosecution work like you. Doesn't mean you should stop looking for firms if that's what you want, but be mindful of the opportunities you already have as well!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you have good credentials and great district and circuit court clerkships, does law review matter at all for future boutique employment? I know grades will always matter, but would my chances at Susman/Keker/Munger decrease meaningfully? What about AUSA and other competitive government jobs?
I landed one of the boutiques you mentioned without law review and without (what I think you mean when you say) a "great" district court clerkship (i.e., not SDNY or DDC or the like). I also did not attend HYS or even CCN. I did clerk on 2/9/DC, though. Polish your resume, do everything else you can to make yourself attractive, and interview well (many clerks don't, I think).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you have good credentials and great district and circuit court clerkships, does law review matter at all for future boutique employment? I know grades will always matter, but would my chances at Susman/Keker/Munger decrease meaningfully? What about AUSA and other competitive government jobs?
I landed one of the boutiques you mentioned without law review and without (what I think you mean when you say) a "great" district court clerkship (i.e., not SDNY or DDC or the like). I also did not attend HYS or even CCN. I did clerk on 2/9/DC, though. Polish your resume, do everything else you can to make yourself attractive, and interview well (many clerks don't, I think).
If you don't mind, did you land one of those firms during this hiring period? And was it Keker?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:57 pm

None of these firms care much at all about law review for post-clerkship hiring (or really, any hiring). It may matter slightly more if you went to a school outside the T10 or so, but even then, grades/clerkship will be vastly more important. Susman probably cares the least and Munger the most, but the effect will be negligible at all three.

(I received offers from two of these places and summered at one).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
If you don't mind, did you land one of those firms during this hiring period? And was it Keker?
No

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Where is the best place to look if you're interested in working as a state SG after a COA clerkship?
Your home state, the state you went to school in, less-desirable states that need people and where you are willing to live and convince someone of that
My bad. I wasn't very clear with that. I mean are people just applying cold, or are there job postings? If there are job postings, are they typically in a centralized place, or are they on each state's website?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:25 am

How much money should an associate be expected to contribute for partnership at a top litigation boutique? Kellog, Susman, Keker level, as well as level slightly below - MoloLamken, Eimerstahl, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can confirm that Wheeler is moving. Is there any movement in DC or LA?
Anyone have an update here on Wheeler? Particularly, any offers or interviews out there, or any knowledge about how many they are looking to hire?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can confirm that Wheeler is moving. Is there any movement in DC or LA?
Anyone have an update here? Particularly, any offers or interviews out there, or any knowledge about how many they are looking to hire?
Anybody heard anything Re movement (dings interviews offers) for Quinn’s new office in Boston?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:11 pm

Email ding from Debevoise NY, after applying months ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:21 am

Does anyone have a sense where we are in the process? Some firms seem to be done while some seem like they are just starting...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

proleteriate

New

Post by proleteriate » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anyone have an update here on Wheeler? Particularly, any offers or interviews out there, or any knowledge about how many they are looking to hire?
They are definitely moving.

foreversport

New

Post by foreversport » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have a sense where we are in the process? Some firms seem to be done while some seem like they are just starting...
Seems very firm dependent. But if I had to generalize, I would probably say that the bigger firms have started going more recently. I know that the boutiques/smaller firms: e.g., Keker, Molo, etc., were moving much earlier.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:35 am

Stupid question but do firms do welcome packages when they hire clerks?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:29 am

proleteriate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I have an interview but just received a competing offer. Am just trying to gauge my chances, and the timeline of offers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone familiar with how Bartlitt Beck recruits?
I am not, but my co-clerk just got invited to interview there, so I think the firm is at the beginning of their hiring season.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:56 pm

proleteriate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Duplicative.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
proleteriate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I have an interview, but also a competing offer, was just trying to gauge my odds and timeline in terms of offers
callback or screener interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:57 pm

Williams and Connolly post-callback ding.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”