2017-2018 Post-Clerkship Hiring Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Re: 2017-2018 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Mid level (non-prestigious, non-flyover) district and non2/7/9 coa clerk here. So far put in about 100 apps (mostly east coast/Midwest) and gotten 3 callbacks, almost 50 rejections. Pretty fun stuff.
grades/class year/school?
Not sure who to answer. ~Top25%/2013/MVP. Not elite by any means but had good experience at a v25. Want AUSA anyways and getting some bites but not cleaning up there either.
Obviously good credentials, but I think your "problem" might be that you'd be coming in as a ~6th year, which is pretty senior. Did you work in big law prior to the clerkships?
Yeah, as someone that far out, it might make sense to work with a recruiter. Once you get in front of firms it might also help to be willing to drop a class year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:34 pm

How much should clerks on federal appellate courts expect? Does it matter much if the judge is senior status but still publishes regularly?

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How much should clerks on federal appellate courts expect? Does it matter much if the judge is senior status but still publishes regularly?
How much what? Your first sentence is missing something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:22 pm

BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Mid level (non-prestigious, non-flyover) district and non2/7/9 coa clerk here. So far put in about 100 apps (mostly east coast/Midwest) and gotten 3 callbacks, almost 50 rejections. Pretty fun stuff.
Not sure who to answer. ~Top25%/2013/MVP. Not elite by any means but had good experience at a v25. Want AUSA anyways and getting some bites but not cleaning up there either.
Obviously good credentials, but I think your "problem" might be that you'd be coming in as a ~6th year, which is pretty senior. Did you work in big law prior to the clerkships?
Yeah, as someone that far out, it might make sense to work with a recruiter. Once you get in front of firms it might also help to be willing to drop a class year.
Yea, I’ve tried to be transparent about class year - I’d come in as a 4th year, happily, because I don’t want it to be permanent and just would want to collect the bonus while still applying to USAOs. I used a recruiter in one city who has got a few callbacks recently, none of which are willing to pay travel or anything which kinda sucks.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yea, I’ve tried to be transparent about class year - I’d come in as a 4th year, happily, because I don’t want it to be permanent and just would want to collect the bonus while still applying to USAOs. I used a recruiter in one city who has got a few callbacks recently, none of which are willing to pay travel or anything which kinda sucks.
Oof, that does suck. Keep on trucking—best of luck to you!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I’m in a similar spot with no luck so far either. Good luck! How have you communicated your openness to drop a class year (or more)? I have so far just avoided discussing the issue but I’m wondering if I should more proactively telegraph my willingness to drop a class year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:20 pm

I haven’t but am considering it - maybe through a recruiter - but really don’t know. You going for multiple markets? Any callbacks?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:50 pm

Yo! Anonymous reply here, but came here to chime in:

this IS hard. I think the most frustrating thing is the fact that most of the recruiting personel at these Big Law firms don't take the minute out of their day to send the generic "no thanks" response to email applications. So you just wait...and hope...and nothing happens. Frustrating doesn't even cut it.

How do we pierce that veil? How do we at the very minimum get the gatekeepers to respond us?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:08 pm

The best way appears to be through backchannels. I was able to hook up with alums I’ve previously spoken to, and that got me through the door. Also any connections from your Judge, if applicable, helps as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The best way appears to be through backchannels. I was able to hook up with alums I’ve previously spoken to, and that got me through the door. Also any connections from your Judge, if applicable, helps as well.
This. Even if you haven't spoken with the alumni/connection prior, use them as a networking resource and, hopefully, a later resource to get your resume in the hands of the right people. Ended up getting an offer that I probably would not have--and earlier than the firm normally hires--by networking via cold email first. There is a reason it is preached by most professional-development offices during law school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:46 pm

Anyone hear from Fried Frank NY post-interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Fried Frank NY post-interview?
I am still waiting to hear from them too. I got the sense they were conducting a lot of interviews and were wrapping up this week, so hopefully decisions will start to be made.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I am still waiting to hear from them too. I got the sense they were conducting a lot of interviews and were wrapping up this week, so hopefully decisions will start to be made.
Still waiting as well. To counter the above, though, was told by recruiting that interviews were finishing by 12/15 and that decisions would be made by 12/22. Was then told that they couldn't get committee together and decisions were delayed until 1/2018. Nothing since. All could be wrong, just relaying what I was told. Happy to hear contravening info if you guys have it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:55 pm

Has anyone seen any biglaw firm movement in Texas yet? Have sent out close to 100 cold emails, nothing but radio silence or rejections so far. Just curious if anybodys experienced anything to the contrary or has any insight into the current climate. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone seen any biglaw firm movement in Texas yet? Have sent out close to 100 cold emails, nothing but radio silence or rejections so far. Just curious if anybodys experienced anything to the contrary or has any insight into the current climate. Thanks.

Same. Except for rejections from Baker Mckenzie and DLA Piper Houston. It seemed like it was February until things got moving last year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:58 pm

How long is it taking firms to get back after interviews?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Still waiting as well. To counter the above, though, was told by recruiting that interviews were finishing by 12/15 and that decisions would be made by 12/22. Was then told that they couldn't get committee together and decisions were delayed until 1/2018. Nothing since. All could be wrong, just relaying what I was told. Happy to hear contravening info if you guys have it.
I'm so glad to have found this thread. I am currently in the process of scheduling an interview with Fried Frank - NYC.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm so glad to have found this thread. I am currently in the process of scheduling an interview with Fried Frank - NYC.
Damn. Wonder what that means for all of us that have already - can't imagine it's necessarily good, either in terms of #s or in terms of the hopes of an offer soon. Good luck though, regardless.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:20 pm

I hope you all land the Fried Frank NY job! It'll help you and me by taking you off the market.

Can anyone touch on the Boston/Chicago markets at this time?

foreversport

New

Post by foreversport » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:54 pm

Would also love to hear by intel about Barack Ferranzano in Chi!

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:44 pm

Tag

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:36 pm

lol that FF is interviewing more people. savage

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:08 pm

Anyone interviewed with Quinn yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:lol that FF is interviewing more people. savage
It really is, particularly since they said they had interviewed their desired universe of candidates. Clearly they were just like well I guess some of these will do but let's see if there's better out there. And not tell these jamokes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:11 pm

Have people been emailing partners, recruiting coordinators, or applying through postings on firm websites? Or some combination of those?

I'm a bankruptcy clerk looking to join a bankruptcy group so I've been emailing partners of those groups with few responses and the few responses I've got are dings. Bankruptcy work is down dramatically so that doesn't help. I'm starting to apply to general lit as well and thinking I should just email the recruiting coordinators from now on.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”