2017-2018 Post-Clerkship Hiring Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2017-2018 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know whether W&C actually raised their associate salaries?
Williams & Connolly is 200k base for a first year (of course they basically dont have any first years, but that sets the floor)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know whether W&C actually raised their associate salaries?
Williams & Connolly is 200k base for a first year (of course they basically dont have any first years, but that sets the floor)
I'm referring to the ATL post that came out a few months ago, claiming W&C had raised their salaries (they've been at 200k for first years for at least three years now)

https://abovethelaw.com/2017/11/salary- ... ssociates/

I'm wondering if anyone knows what they're actually paying out now for each class year...then again, considering ATL never updated that article, they might've gotten false info

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody have anything to report from Texas markets yet?

Non-Texas D.Ct. clerk here. A few dings here and there, but other than that it's radio silence.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Non-Texas D.Ct. clerk here. A few dings here and there, but other than that it's radio silence.
When should we expect hiring to get moving...if ever? Anybody know about trends from prior years?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:19 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

When should we expect hiring to get moving...if ever? Anybody know about trends from prior years?

Last year looked like March or April. Don't worry about it just yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

proleteriate

New

Post by proleteriate » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

so if we apply right now is it too early?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:56 pm

proleteriate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

so if we apply right now is it too early?
I’ve applied to every large firm in Texas and have received a few straight dings and a few “we’ll hold on to this” emails but straight radio silence otherwise.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wait can we get back to the FF soap opera? I was getting excited for people to get offers but now everyones over it.
I finally heard back from FF this evening, and it was a call w/ an offer! :D

Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wait can we get back to the FF soap opera? I was getting excited for people to get offers but now everyones over it.

oh wow, congrats! super jelly! glad they are still moving along... would you mind posting up some stats?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats indeed. What a bizarre process this has been!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats indeed. What a bizarre process this has been!
Congrats! I wonder how many spots they had available. Goodluck to everyone else still waiting

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm referring to the ATL post that came out a few months ago, claiming W&C had raised their salaries (they've been at 200k for first years for at least three years now)

I'm wondering if anyone knows what they're actually paying out now for each class year...then again, considering ATL never updated that article, they might've gotten false info
Salaries did go up for each year after the first. I'm sure the scale will leak out at some point (or you could get it from recruiting, who I'm sure are happy to share it), but I don't have the numbers in front of me and don't feel like pulling them up just before they appear on TLS b/c paranoia.

I compared the numbers to market (base and bonus) back when we first found out, and the raises return us to where we've been historically (a bit above market for the first few years, slightly below market for a few years, and then more substantially below market when partnership is on the horizon).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:57 pm

This may be an elementary question, but is post-clerkship firm hiring that common? I would imagine that most people would return to their previous firm where they worked or summered and that the only clerks looking for jobs are (1) those looking to trade up/switch markets and (2) people who've never worked at a firm. Is there something I'm missing? I'll be a clerk in the near future and am curious.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Salaries did go up for each year after the first. I'm sure the scale will leak out at some point (or you could get it from recruiting, who I'm sure are happy to share it), but I don't have the numbers in front of me and don't feel like pulling them up just before they appear on TLS b/c paranoia.

I compared the numbers to market (base and bonus) back when we first found out, and the raises return us to where we've been historically (a bit above market for the first few years, slightly below market for a few years, and then more substantially below market when partnership is on the horizon).
What are they paying third years and fourth years right now? Could you at least say that?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This may be an elementary question, but is post-clerkship firm hiring that common? I would imagine that most people would return to their previous firm where they worked or summered and that the only clerks looking for jobs are (1) those looking to trade up/switch markets and (2) people who've never worked at a firm. Is there something I'm missing? I'll be a clerk in the near future and am curious.
Correct

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

oh wow, congrats! super jelly! glad they are still moving along... would you mind posting up some stats?
Thanks everyone. I have no info on how many spots they had or when they’ll be done with the process. I’m going to avoid sharing stats because I’d be pretty identifiable, but if for some reason you really want to know, I will shoot you a PM.

JakeTappers

Bronze

Post by JakeTappers » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks everyone. I have no info on how many spots they had or when they’ll be done with the process. I’m going to avoid sharing stats because I’d be pretty identifiable, but if for some reason you really want to know, I will shoot you a PM.
I’d be curious to know in the PM just to gauge my shot but understand if unwilling.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This may be an elementary question, but is post-clerkship firm hiring that common? I would imagine that most people would return to their previous firm where they worked or summered and that the only clerks looking for jobs are (1) those looking to trade up/switch markets and (2) people who've never worked at a firm. Is there something I'm missing? I'll be a clerk in the near future and am curious.
Correct
(3) People who did work at firms and got no offered for whatever reason and were able to hang on to a judicial clerkship as opposed to being completely unemployed ...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:movement at Patterson Belknap
interviews already? that was fast!
anyone have a sense about how long Patterson takes to begin making offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
idk about offers but my ding came in today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
idk about offers but my ding came in today.
Pre- or post-interview?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A thread in 2012 said about a week, but that was for summer offers back when they had an SA program.

FWIW, they have more interviews scheduled for next week if that tells you anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:10 pm

Any action on Keker or Willenkin?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:22 pm

any movement in DC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any movement in DC?
Kellogg is apparently not firing up until Feb?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”