2017-2018 Post-Clerkship Hiring Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
elipad

New

Re: 2017-2018 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by elipad » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any movement from Covington or Kirkland DC?
I haven't heard back from either, but I only submitted my apps like two weeks ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:51 am

Anyone know anything about Bird Marella in LA? They seem like an ideal kind of shop, but hearing that they are actually a bit sweat-shoppy?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:46 pm

Still radio silence and it's officially been 3 weeks since my callbacks. I guess I should wait until 4 weeks to completely give up hope, like some of y'all have said. Is it a bad sign that the firms have not checked in? Do most firms kind of give an email to say "hey we're still thinking about you and should have an answer soon"?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Still radio silence and it's officially been 3 weeks since my callbacks. I guess I should wait until 4 weeks to completely give up hope, like some of y'all have said. Is it a bad sign that the firms have not checked in? Do most firms kind of give an email to say "hey we're still thinking about you and should have an answer soon"?
Maybe others here disagree, but I think an email to the recruiter checking in is totally appropriate. I sent a quick, friendly email asking about the hiring timeline after 2+ weeks after callback, and was just told that the hiring committee hadn't met yet but that I'd hear back soon.

shantideva

New

Post by shantideva » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:26 pm

My judge offered to have me stay on another year. I have until February 28 to decide, but it's probably a yes. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:09 pm

Any movement at all in Texas?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:33 pm

Big firm I did a callback with emailed me a few weeks ago to let me know they planned to get me an answer one way or the other by a self-imposed deadline. Well here we are after the deadline I haven't heard anything. What is wrong with these people?! Why did they even bother sending me that email?!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:49 pm

I had an interview in Dallas yesterday. The firm said they were planning on interviewing more people later this week for one or two positions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:23 pm

Litigation boutiques are hiring in the major cities. I interviewed with a few and recently accepted a position at one of them. Although many of the biglaw firms have specific postings, the litigation boutiques don't always have available positions on their websites. I cold emailed firms of interest and was fortunate enough to receive interviews. Of the group of firms where I interviewed, two of them paid at the same level if not more than biglaw market rate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Litigation boutiques are hiring in the major cities. I interviewed with a few and recently accepted a position at one of them. Although many of the biglaw firms have specific postings, the litigation boutiques don't always have available positions on their websites. I cold emailed firms of interest and was fortunate enough to receive interviews. Of the group of firms where I interviewed, two of them paid at the same level if not more than biglaw market rate.

Plus bonuses are often better too. Lit boutiques are really the way to go - I also landed a job with one. Everyone is applying to the exact same biglaw positions, so odds aren't great. Something for everyone to consider...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:08 pm

Any chance y’all would throw some names out there? Free to throw in some randoms with the ones you interviewed/accepted with. Likely most of us already know/applied, but still.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:50 am

Two questions:

1) Anyone here past the screener stage for WTO yet? what was the initial screening like? phone? how soon until callback invite?
2) Anyone going to Tensegrity? what was your interview process and offer timeline?

Thanks in advance.

proleteriate

New

Post by proleteriate » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Litigation boutiques are hiring in the major cities. I interviewed with a few and recently accepted a position at one of them. Although many of the biglaw firms have specific postings, the litigation boutiques don't always have available positions on their websites. I cold emailed firms of interest and was fortunate enough to receive interviews. Of the group of firms where I interviewed, two of them paid at the same level if not more than biglaw market rate.
can we get some stats? I don't want to miss my shot at W&C or HH, but didn't bother to apply since.... well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:40 pm

proleteriate wrote:
can we get some stats? I don't want to miss my shot at W&C or HH, but didn't bother to apply since.... well.

Top 15% at Top 20 school. Law Review and flyover district court clerkship. My credentials are not as solid as many of the posters on this forum, but I applied to every litigation boutique in New York, Chicago, and D.C. to give myself the best chance of landing something. Not much luck with biglaw firms (only interviews), but was relatively successful with litigation boutiques. Hope this is helpful to everyone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
proleteriate wrote:

Top 15% at Top 20 school. Law Review and flyover district court clerkship. My credentials are not as solid as many of the posters on this forum, but I applied to every litigation boutique in New York, Chicago, and D.C. to give myself the best chance of landing something. Not much luck with biglaw firms (only interviews), but was relatively successful with litigation boutiques. Hope this is helpful to everyone.
Given the ubiquity of the term boutique, can you at least indicate whether, on the sliding-scale of prestige/selectivity, you are talking about: 1) Susman, Bartlit, Kellogg-type places, 2) McKool, Zuckerman, Patterson-type places, or 3) the dozens of reputable smaller shops that call themselves boutiques but are not household names? Thanks and congrats.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
proleteriate wrote:

East coast T20? I went to school out west and east coast boutiques have been all crickets and dings.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
proleteriate wrote:

Given the ubiquity of the term boutique, can you at least indicate whether, on the sliding-scale of prestige/selectivity, you are talking about: 1) Susman, Bartlit, Kellogg-type places, 2) McKool, Zuckerman, Patterson-type places, or 3) the dozens of reputable smaller shops that call themselves boutiques but are not household names? Thanks and congrats.
Given the fact that the poster is talking about firms that pay at or above the market rate, the poster must be talking about the Susman, Bartlit level firms right? Of the few midlaw / boutique firms that do pay above market, I don't know that any would qualify below that prestige/selectivity range (save, perhaps, Eimer Stahl, which is kind of an outlier).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:40 pm

Where does Boies fit in? Anyone heard from them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:03 pm

Anyone have the recruiter contact email for Selendy Gay? I hear they are looking to hire.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
proleteriate wrote:

Given the fact that the poster is talking about firms that pay at or above the market rate, the poster must be talking about the Susman, Bartlit level firms right? Of the few midlaw / boutique firms that do pay above market, I don't know that any would qualify below that prestige/selectivity range (save, perhaps, Eimer Stahl, which is kind of an outlier).

I'm the original poster. Non-east coast T20. In terms of tiers as applied to that list, I would put the two firms I referenced as category 2 for prestige/selectivity/reputation. 1 firm offered pay commensurate with the biglaw firms, with 1 offering more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
proleteriate wrote:

I'm the original poster. Non-east coast T20. In terms of tiers as applied to that list, I would put the two firms I referenced as category 2 for prestige/selectivity/reputation. 1 firm offered pay commensurate with the biglaw firms, with 1 offering more.

Non-OP: I also interviewed at some lit firms (not Susman, Bartlitt, Kellog) and one of them, I will not say since I'm still waiting to hear back, offered over 200k for 2nd year associate.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
proleteriate wrote:

Non-OP: I also interviewed at some lit firms (not Susman, Bartlitt, Kellog) and one of them, I will not say since I'm still waiting to hear back, offered over 200k for 2nd year associate.

I've heard about lit firms paying out from other clerks in the courthouse. I started focusing my attention there last week. Rejections though from Eimer, Susman, and nothing yet from Keker.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
proleteriate wrote:

This is really astonishing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:18 pm

you have to be careful with referring to the compensation structures at some lit boutiques "above market." Kellogg, for example, pays $225k to law clerks in their first year at the firm, regardless of their law school graduating class. So if you are class of 2017, that's going to be above market for your year. If you are class of 2015, that's below market for you, factoring in end-year bonuses. The compensation scale is also different, and in your fourth year at the firm you'll make $50k more than in your first year (which is less than the variation from the cravath market + bonus). The absurd clerkship bonus at Kellogg probably makes it worth it financially for almost anyone, but in terms of base salary its an example of how boutiques will operate. Some firms with $200k+ starting salaries that can theoretically apply to second year associates will not increase at the market rate, leaving mid-levels and seniors are below market while juniors are a little above.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:you have to be careful with referring to the compensation structures at some lit boutiques "above market." Kellogg, for example, pays $225k to law clerks in their first year at the firm, regardless of their law school graduating class. So if you are class of 2017, that's going to be above market for your year. If you are class of 2015, that's below market for you, factoring in end-year bonuses. The compensation scale is also different, and in your fourth year at the firm you'll make $50k more than in your first year (which is less than the variation from the cravath market + bonus). The absurd clerkship bonus at Kellogg probably makes it worth it financially for almost anyone, but in terms of base salary its an example of how boutiques will operate. Some firms with $200k+ starting salaries that can theoretically apply to second year associates will not increase at the market rate, leaving mid-levels and seniors are below market while juniors are a little above.

Original poster. Everything you said is true. When I referred to "above market rate," I was comparing salary entering the firms as an x or y year associate to x or y year associate salary at firms that are paying on the cravath scale. Near-sightedness on my part. But insofar as salary in the first year after clerking, what I said holds true that it pays above market rate.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”