2017-2018 Post-Clerkship Hiring Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2017-2018 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have any two-year clerks had any success negotiating 2 years of credit?
Didnt negotiate, but was offered full class credit for my two-year clerkship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have any two-year clerks had any success negotiating 2 years of credit?
This may be a dumb question:

Assuming you didn’t practice prior to your clerkship, did you come in as a third year then?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:45 am

FascinatedWanderer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are there any grade cut-offs for NYC firms hiring clerks? I've been sending out applications since mid-January (typically after attending firm receptions), and have either had radio silence or terse rejection letters telling me how wonderful I am, just not wonderful enough.

I ask because I'm bit of an odd duck in terms of my stats, or so I'm led to believe. Plenty of other clerks have been telling me about the interviews they're scheduling, so it's either my grades or my resume...
Grade cutoffs are pretty much the same as they would be if you didn’t have a clerkship.
I don't think thats really true. My anecdotal experience is that firms are looking for indicators of prestige and for you to be on a path in their comfort zone but, with a few exceptions, no one will scrutinize your transcript the way your first employer (whether its a firm at OCI or a Judge hiring clerks) will.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are there any grade cut-offs for NYC firms hiring clerks? I've been sending out applications since mid-January (typically after attending firm receptions), and have either had radio silence or terse rejection letters telling me how wonderful I am, just not wonderful enough.

I ask because I'm bit of an odd duck in terms of my stats, or so I'm led to believe. Plenty of other clerks have been telling me about the interviews they're scheduling, so it's either my grades or my resume...
Grade cutoffs are pretty much the same as they would be if you didn’t have a clerkship.
I don't think thats really true. My anecdotal experience is that firms are looking for indicators of prestige and for you to be on a path in their comfort zone but, with a few exceptions, no one will scrutinize your transcript the way your first employer (whether its a firm at OCI or a Judge hiring clerks) will.
If its somewhere like Susman or Munger or Williams & Connolly, theybare still going to look at your 1L grades. That shit never really gets old.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:55 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If its somewhere like Susman or Munger or Williams & Connolly, theybare still going to look at your 1L grades. That shit never really gets old.
Previous anon here, that’s probably true but those are among the few exceptions. All I meant is a bigger firm that sees other indicators like a judge they know, previous biglaw experience, good school etc. probably won’t apply a strict grade cutoff they might have had for 1Ls from the same school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HarrisonBarnes

New

Post by HarrisonBarnes » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:52 pm

New York is currently a very difficult market for litigators and there are not as many litigation openings there is there are corporate openings. The problem with trying to work in New York City as a litigator is that there are not his many openings for clerks as there may be for attorneys coming from other large law firms. Law firms prefer to hire attorneys with experience in large law firms than clerks--unless you are coming from a well-know federal appellate judge (or district judge in New York). The most prestigious new york city law firms will also expect you to have had a summer associate--and received an offer--from a major law firm. The market in New York City is so competitive and law firms can choose who they hire. Generally, law firms are looking to minimize the risk and hire the people most likely to work out. This means that it will hire from the most well-regarded judges in the most competitive circuits and also from the most competitive law firms. In my career, I have seen federal circuit court judges and district court judges hire people from the bottom of their class at top 50 law schools. It is much harder to get into a very prestigious law firm in many cases than it is to get a clerkship. Law firms are businesses and will have grade cutoffs and other things--especially the larger ones--where's judges can make hiring decisions based on who they like and each one is different. That said, getting hired in New York will also be dependent on whether or not you have the bar, whether or not you have connections there and whether or not you of work there in the past. If you are seeking a job in New York and dead set on it, you are going to be better off trying to look for a position where you are from, where the judge is located and where you went to school and have connections as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:00 pm

So, anyways. Anyone heard from WTO? I’m not sure what credentials they are necessarily looking for. Was t14 median but have good experience now and two decent clerkships. Competitive?

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:56 pm

HarrisonBarnes wrote:New York is currently a very difficult market for litigators and there are not as many litigation openings there is there are corporate openings. The problem with trying to work in New York City as a litigator is that there are not his many openings for clerks as there may be for attorneys coming from other large law firms. Law firms prefer to hire attorneys with experience in large law firms than clerks--unless you are coming from a well-know federal appellate judge (or district judge in New York). The most prestigious New York City law firms will also expect you to have had a summer associate--and received an offer--from a major law firm. The market in New York City is so competitive and law firms can choose who they hire. Generally, law firms are looking to minimize the risk and hire the people most likely to work out. This means that it will hire from the most well-regarded judges in the most competitive circuits and also from the most competitive law firms. In my career, I have seen federal circuit court judges and district court judges hire people from the bottom of their class at top 50 law schools. It is much harder to get into a very prestigious law firm in many cases than it is to get a clerkship. Law firms are businesses and will have grade cutoffs and other things--especially the larger ones--where's judges can make hiring decisions based on who they like and each one is different. That said, getting hired in New York will also be dependent on whether or not you have the bar, whether or not you have connections there and whether or not you of work there in the past. If you are seeking a job in New York and dead set on it, you are going to be better off trying to look for a position where you are from, where the judge is located and where you went to school and have connections as well.

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:02 pm

HarrisonBarnes wrote:New York is currently a very difficult market for litigators and there are not as many litigation openings there is there are corporate openings. The problem with trying to work in New York City as a litigator is that there are not his many openings for clerks as there may be for attorneys coming from other large law firms. Law firms prefer to hire attorneys with experience in large law firms than clerks--unless you are coming from a well-know federal appellate judge (or district judge in New York). The most prestigious New York City law firms will also expect you to have had a summer associate--and received an offer--from a major law firm. The market in New York City is so competitive and law firms can choose who they hire. Generally, law firms are looking to minimize the risk and hire the people most likely to work out. This means that it will hire from the most well-regarded judges in the most competitive circuits and also from the most competitive law firms. In my career, I have seen federal circuit court judges and district court judges hire people from the bottom of their class at top 50 law schools. It is much harder to get into a very prestigious law firm in many cases than it is to get a clerkship. Law firms are businesses and will have grade cutoffs and other things--especially the larger ones--where's judges can make hiring decisions based on who they like and each one is different. That said, getting hired in New York will also be dependent on whether or not you have the bar, whether or not you have connections there and whether or not you of work there in the past. If you are seeking a job in New York and dead set on it, you are going to be better off trying to look for a position where you are from, where the judge is located and where you went to school and have connections as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I will have 1.5 years of biglaw experience and 1.5 years of district court clerkship, but the biglaw experience is in corporate work. Is it possible to still get credit for all that and start as a fourth-year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I will have 1.5 years of biglaw experience and 1.5 years of district court clerkship, but the biglaw experience is in corporate work. Is it possible to still get credit for all that and start as a fourth-year?
Anon who got full class credit here: it will differ by firm. If the firm really wants you, then you could probably negotiate to come in as a 4th-year. If it's more of a reach, they may be able to drop you a year and you would still take the job. I was ready to drop a class year for certain firms, but ended up getting an offer for full credit (also 4th year) at a firm I really like. TL;DR: definitely possible, but will depend on the firm and your other leverage/bargaining chips.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
It sounds like you're planning on transitioning to litigation. If that's the case and you want to be successful at the firm and not just work a year or two and cash out as much as you can, I'd think it's in your interest to be willing to drop a class year. You'll have more time to learn the ropes of biglaw lit and presumably somewhat lower expectations for what you'll know.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:06 pm

Any movement on MoloLamken?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:52 pm

Has anybody heard from FF NY Post-interview? If you received an offer - did they say when the offer expires? Thnx

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:57 pm

Has anybody heard back from FF NY Post-Interview? If you received an offer, did they say when the offer expires? Thnx

Paul Revere

New

Post by Paul Revere » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anybody heard back from FF NY Post-Interview? If you received an offer, did they say when the offer expires? Thnx
At least one person in this thread has reported an offer, and I know someone who received a ding post interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:37 pm

Paul Revere wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anybody heard back from FF NY Post-Interview? If you received an offer, did they say when the offer expires? Thnx
At least one person in this thread has reported an offer, and I know someone who received a ding post interview.
Thanks for the response. Do you know how the ding came? (via email, snail mail, phone)? Haven't heard back and not sure what to expect.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:53 pm

I heard that FF elected an all male partner class this year. Just food for thought.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:01 pm

Paul Revere wrote:
Thanks for the response. Do you know how the ding came? (e-mail, snail mail, phone) Haven't heard back yet and not sure what to expect.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:30 pm

I received a ding. It came in the form of an obnoxiously generic and classless e-mail ding. I really expected more from them. No wonder few people on Top Law seem to respect FF.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I received a ding. It came in the form of an obnoxiously generic and classless e-mail ding. I really expected more from them. No wonder few people on Top Law seem to respect FF.
I don't understand why a generic rejection email is upsetting or why one would think they're entitled to something more. Besides, isn't it more considerate to transmit information that might affect someone's career decision faster rather than slower? Of course, I also understand the frustration of feeling rejected, and I know it can be cathartic to level complaints at the rejecting party.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I received a ding. It came in the form of an obnoxiously generic and classless e-mail ding. I really expected more from them. No wonder few people on Top Law seem to respect FF.
I don't understand why a generic rejection email is upsetting or why one would think they're entitled to something more. Besides, isn't it more considerate to transmit information that might affect someone's career decision faster rather than slower? Of course, I also understand the frustration of feeling rejected, and I know it can be cathartic to level complaints at the rejecting party.
An e-mail is fine, but after the ridiculous amount of time they took to respond, something a little more thoughtful than the typical generic rejection would have been much more attractive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:48 pm

I still haven’t heard back from Susman after applying just before Thanksgiving. So even a generic email would be better than this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I still haven’t heard back from Susman after applying just before Thanksgiving. So even a generic email would be better than this.
I'm in the same boat as you. I'd be worried but... they have sent out dings via snail-mail to some people. I suppose that either means they are still considering us, or forgotten about us completely. Who knows, maybe we'll get an interview ! :twisted:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
An e-mail is fine, but after the ridiculous amount of time they took to respond, something a little more thoughtful than the typical generic rejection would have been much more attractive.
This is all so strange. I still haven’t heard - after being told originally that I would be told within 3 days. Then multiple updates saying “next week” or whatever. Now it’s been more than two months. No email ding yet.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”