2017-2018 Post-Clerkship Hiring Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
arez

New

Re: 2017-2018 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by arez » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone gotten any action in DC?
COA clerk - non 2/9/DC district - received a Covington rejection and a not hiring judicial clerks yet response from APKS. Otherwise dead silent
Mind sharing around when you submitted your Covington app and how long after that you received a rejection? Thank you in advance

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:51 pm

arez wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
COA clerk - non 2/9/DC district - received a Covington rejection and a not hiring judicial clerks yet response from APKS. Otherwise dead silent
Mind sharing around when you submitted your Covington app and how long after that you received a rejection? Thank you in advance
Applied Dec. 29, rejected Jan. 5.

proleteriate

New

Post by proleteriate » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
arez wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How did you submit for APKS? I can't find a post-clerkship submission, and got negative replies when I just emailed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
arez wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Another Covington rejection, this one from the SF office. 2/9/DC clerk, top 10% at a T14, did my SA in a more prestigious office in a different city. Lol at recommending that people clerk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:12 pm

How long do you think someone should wait to get an update after a callback interview? It's coming on to two weeks at a firm, and they made it sound like it would not take this long...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fredmerz

New

Post by fredmerz » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How long do you think someone should wait to get an update after a callback interview? It's coming on to two weeks at a firm, and they made it sound like it would not take this long...
I've been waiting for two weeks and a day post-interview. They had said I was one of the first interviews though and it might take a few weeks. I emailed them today asking them to love me or leave me actually because I received an offer I'm happy with yesterday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:09 pm

proleteriate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
arez wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How did you submit for APKS? I can't find a post-clerkship submission, and got negative replies when I just emailed.
I sent an email to the D.C. office recruiting address. They told me that they will only be accepting applications through the current opportunities portal on the website.

foreversport

New

Post by foreversport » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:42 pm

fredmerz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How long do you think someone should wait to get an update after a callback interview? It's coming on to two weeks at a firm, and they made it sound like it would not take this long...
I've been waiting for two weeks and a day post-interview. They had said I was one of the first interviews though and it might take a few weeks. I emailed them today asking them to love me or leave me actually because I received an offer I'm happy with yesterday.
Congrats! Happy to hear it. How long did it take for that offer to get turned around?

fredmerz

New

Post by fredmerz » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:49 pm

foreversport wrote:
fredmerz wrote:
Congrats! Happy to hear it. How long did it take for that offer to get turned around?
Thanks! Exactly one week, which is what they told me after the interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:40 pm

I'm going to be targeting Philadelphia as a mid level following my clerkship. Should I start applying?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:58 pm

so I had a callback about six weeks ago. My contact (a partner who I've known for a few years) just emailed me saying he wants to get lunch to follow up. What does that mean!?

TEIAM

Bronze

Post by TEIAM » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so I had a callback about six weeks ago. My contact (a partner who I've known for a few years) just emailed me saying he wants to get lunch to follow up. What does that mean!?
I wouldn't get your hopes up too high, although I am rooting for ya. I had something similar happen to me and was told that the practice group wasn't busy enough to make the hire. It wasn't a ding, but it definitely wasn't what I was hoping/expecting.

Take the meeting, suspect the worst, hope for the best. Best of luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:52 pm

Sigh. Just had 5 callbacks in the northeast last week. Already got my first rejection. I've applied to 100 or so NALP firms. Thus far about half have rejected me with no interview. I've also been rejected from a few federal honors programs after interviews. I'm starting to lose hope, which I know may be premature.

Does anybody have any advice on how to keep the faith? It's been a tough few years, and I took this federal clerkship expecting I'd do better in the application process. But thus far I've already seen more than a few rejections, which is disheartening. I'm trying to keep the hope that one of the other callbacks will pan out, but I honestly doubt I did better in those interviews than in the one that already dinged me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:56 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sigh. Just had 5 callbacks in the northeast last week. Already got my first rejection. I've applied to 100 or so NALP firms. Thus far about half have rejected me with no interview. I've also been rejected from a few federal honors programs after interviews. I'm starting to lose hope, which I know may be premature.

Does anybody have any advice on how to keep the faith? It's been a tough few years, and I took this federal clerkship expecting I'd do better in the application process. But thus far I've already seen more than a few rejections, which is disheartening. I'm trying to keep the hope that one of the other callbacks will pan out, but I honestly doubt I did better in those interviews than in the one that already dinged me.
The odds of you striking out on all five callbacks are slim.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Sigh. Just had 5 callbacks in the northeast last week. Already got my first rejection. I've applied to 100 or so NALP firms. Thus far about half have rejected me with no interview. I've also been rejected from a few federal honors programs after interviews. I'm starting to lose hope, which I know may be premature.

do u have the credentials needed for biglaw? you're quite a few years in and it may be hard lateralling in as a mid-senior if no previous biglaw experience. I'm in a similar boat and have pivoted to smaller firms. I share your pain brother. But like the other poster said, 5 CBs = 1 offer at least. Keep up the faith!!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

do u have the credentials needed for biglaw? you're quite a few years in and it may be hard lateralling in as a mid-senior if no previous biglaw experience. I'm in a similar boat and have pivoted to smaller firms. I share your pain brother. But like the other poster said, 5 CBs = 1 offer at least. Keep up the faith!!!
I really appreciate the encouragement. My grades are fine and I went to a highly ranked law school, had a prestigious 2L summer gig (though non-firm) but yeah, no private sector experience to speak of. It all comes down to the interview, folks. Don't let anyone fool you. If you can't nail the interview, it doesn't matter what your resume says.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:movement at Patterson Belknap
interviews already? that was fast!
anyone have a sense about how long Patterson takes to begin making offers?
Anyone get a Patterson offer yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:movement at Patterson Belknap
interviews already? that was fast!
anyone have a sense about how long Patterson takes to begin making offers?
Anyone get a Patterson offer yet?
Not yet. Probably next week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:41 pm

EDNY D.Ct. clerk wondering if my lack of SA / transfer is what's directing my applications to Ding Town. My stats are fairly competitive: Top 25% at MVP, but I transferred from a TTT and did not participate in OCI or consequently SA. Also, the classes I took to get that top 25% ranged from Economics for Lawyers to Basketweaving Law, more or less. Obviously I have a theory . . . but can anyone confirm it? What's worse, transfer, lack or SA, or fluff classes ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:EDNY D.Ct. clerk wondering if my lack of SA / transfer is what's directing my applications to Ding Town. My stats are fairly competitive: Top 25% at MVP, but I transferred from a TTT and did not participate in OCI or consequently SA. Also, the classes I took to get that top 25% ranged from Economics for Lawyers to Basketweaving Law, more or less. Obviously I have a theory . . . but can anyone confirm it? What's worse, transfer, lack or SA, or fluff classes ?
Why would a firm hold transferring or not SAing against an applicant? Fluff classes I get but that seems like an interview question rather than a reason to reject immediately. FWIW, I did not SA and did mostly civil rights work in school, where I got good but not outstanding grades in classes like advanced vivisection litigation and suing corrections officers. I seem to be getting immediate dings from the gigantic firms, some love from the "nice culture" firms, and total silence from everyone else, which is largely what I expected.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:33 pm

Anyone having luck in SF proper, or the Bay Area?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:EDNY D.Ct. clerk wondering if my lack of SA / transfer is what's directing my applications to Ding Town. My stats are fairly competitive: Top 25% at MVP, but I transferred from a TTT and did not participate in OCI or consequently SA. Also, the classes I took to get that top 25% ranged from Economics for Lawyers to Basketweaving Law, more or less. Obviously I have a theory . . . but can anyone confirm it? What's worse, transfer, lack or SA, or fluff classes ?
Why would a firm hold transferring or not SAing against an applicant? Fluff classes I get but that seems like an interview question rather than a reason to reject immediately. FWIW, I did not SA and did mostly civil rights work in school, where I got good but not outstanding grades in classes like advanced vivisection litigation and suing corrections officers. I seem to be getting immediate dings from the gigantic firms, some love from the "nice culture" firms, and total silence from everyone else, which is largely what I expected.

Dude, Ding Town: population us!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Firms can be notoriously conservative, and many operate under the misguided impression that everyone who wants a biglaw job as an associate wanted a 2L summer associate position during law school. Thus, anyone applying to their firm without a 2L SA on their resume probably struck out for personality reasons or something. It's dumb, but that would explain some of lack of bites

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:56 pm

Have any two-year clerks had any success negotiating 2 years of credit?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”