2017-2018 Post-Clerkship Hiring Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
objctnyrhnr

Re: 2017-2018 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by objctnyrhnr » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:00 pm

Any bites (interviews) yet gained from directly emailing the recruiters at spots that have a “we love judicial clerks” section on the careers tab of their websites?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:55 pm

foreversport wrote:Would also love to hear by intel about Barack Ferranzano in Chi!
Are you looking for info specific to this cycle? I interviewed with them during my clerkship ladt year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:30 am

objctnyrhnr wrote:Any bites (interviews) yet gained from directly emailing the recruiters at spots that have a “we love judicial clerks” section on the careers tab of their websites?
I got interviews at Boies and Quinn by just emailing their recruiting teams. I filled out Cleary’s online form; no response. That seems like a true dead end.

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
foreversport wrote:Would also love to hear by intel about Barack Ferranzano in Chi!
Are you looking for info specific to this cycle? I interviewed with them during my clerkship ladt year.

I am not the original requestor, but I’d be curious to hear about your experience last year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:52 am

Has anyone heard from Proskauer NY, aside from their reception?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:18 pm

I got a ding from Proskauer NY. Sucks for them!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:Any bites (interviews) yet gained from directly emailing the recruiters at spots that have a “we love judicial clerks” section on the careers tab of their websites?
I got interviews at Boies and Quinn by just emailing their recruiting teams. I filled out Cleary’s online form; no response. That seems like a true dead end.
Congrats!! Is that Boies NYC? Any word from them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:57 pm

I suppose the "unremarkable" FF will be snail-mailing out rejections... :lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:40 am

So, apologies for the basic question, but what is the conventional way one goes about looking for a post-clerkship biglaw position? Just cold-email HR departments? Get some sort of recruiter involved? If it matters, 2 years of V-20 work in DC pre-clerkship at a non-2/9/D.C. circuit court. Its starting to dawn on me that I'm here for another nine months or so and I should probably figure out what I'm doing afterwards.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:48 pm

I've just been sending glamour head shots to HR, and every resume I e-mail is scented with Sauvage Dior. No interviews yet but I'm still hopeful!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:24 pm

Do big law firms care THAT much whether your clerkship is 2/9/DC? What about boutiques? I plan on going back to my V10 but am entertaining the possibility of going to a boutique.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I hope you all land the Fried Frank NY job! It'll help you and me by taking you off the market.

Can anyone touch on the Boston/Chicago markets at this time?

Boston is definitely moving. Circuit clerk here and have had eight interviews and five offers so far. All in the last 2-3 weeks.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do big law firms care THAT much whether your clerkship is 2/9/DC? What about boutiques? I plan on going back to my V10 but am entertaining the possibility of going to a boutique.
Probably depends on the boutique and to some extent how competitive you would have been for the boutique without the clerkship. That said, I have a good friend who went from a V20 > non-2/9/DC and non-feeder COA > well-known lit boutique. I get the feeling from that and some people I've seen that if you meet a boutiques requirements, a lot more depends on fit than in typical biglaw hiring. Looking at associate profiles can give you a better idea for a particular firm. Not knowing more, I'd think you have a shot and shouldn't count yourself out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:35 pm

BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do big law firms care THAT much whether your clerkship is 2/9/DC? What about boutiques? I plan on going back to my V10 but am entertaining the possibility of going to a boutique.
Probably depends on the boutique and to some extent how competitive you would have been for the boutique without the clerkship. That said, I have a good friend who went from a V20 > non-2/9/DC and non-feeder COA > well-known lit boutique. I get the feeling from that and some people I've seen that if you meet a boutiques requirements, a lot more depends on fit than in typical biglaw hiring. Looking at associate profiles can give you a better idea for a particular firm. Not knowing more, I'd think you have a shot and shouldn't count yourself out.
Thanks. The only boutiques I'd leave my V10 for would be Susman/Munger/Keker. Let's say HYS, CDCA/NDCA + random circuit.

Also, how much do grades matter?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I hope you all land the Fried Frank NY job! It'll help you and me by taking you off the market.

Boston is definitely moving. Circuit clerk here and have had eight interviews and five offers so far. All in the last 2-3 weeks.
Can you name a few of the spots in Boston that did not have postings up for specific lateral spots?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Can you name a few of the spots in Boston that did not have postings up for specific lateral spots?
I didn't go through postings so I have no idea who had posted specifically for laterals. Ropes, Goodwin, Jones Day, McDermott, and White and Case are a smattering of the firms that have interviewed thus far.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I didn't go through postings so I have no idea who had posted specifically for laterals. Ropes, Goodwin, Jones Day, McDermott, and White and Case are a smattering of the firms that have interviewed thus far.

Considering how much everyone else is struggling right now, that is quite something...especially 5 offers...in 2-3 weeks

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard anything (interview, email, snail mail, offer) from Boies NY?
Bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
Thanks. The only boutiques I'd leave my V10 for would be Susman/Munger/Keker. Let's say HYS, CDCA/NDCA + random circuit.

Different poster than above. Summered at a V10-->flyover district court clerkship-->non-feeder 2/9/DC-->top boutique.

Assuming what you outlined above is not merely hypothetical, you arguably would clear the academic hurdle depending on where you fell in your graduating class. Then it all comes down to fit. Certain credentials garner a hard look in the first place; beyond that, they want somebody who will succeed in the environment the firm has cultivated. And that can be ascertained very quickly during the interview process.

TLDR: Grades matter to get looked at in the first place, but fit ultimately prevails.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Can you tell us a bit about your technique? Do you use a recruiter? Do you just find the recruiting contact from the firm and email them your res? Do you tirelessly network and get your stuff submitted internally?

Also, how amazing is your res? Hys? Science background?

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BlackAndOrange84 wrote:

You're competitive. Grades seem to matter, but do they matter in the sense of cum laude at H not magna is disqualifying? I suspect not, but I could be wrong. As the other anon who ended up at a boutique said, once you get in for an interview, fit is big.

Sounds like you're firmly rooted on the west coast, otherwise I'd say look at Kellogg and Molo as well, maybe Kellogg especially given the comp and you seem to be willing to put in the hours. What about Hueston Hennigan?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:10 pm

BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BlackAndOrange84 wrote:

You're competitive. Grades seem to matter, but do they matter in the sense of cum laude at H not magna is disqualifying? I suspect not, but I could be wrong. As the other anon who ended up at a boutique said, once you get in for an interview, fit is big.

Sounds like you're firmly rooted on the west coast, otherwise I'd say look at Kellogg and Molo as well, maybe Kellogg especially given the comp and you seem to be willing to put in the hours. What about Hueston Hennigan?
At Susman, the difference between Magna and cum laude at HLS would be significant. The latter is not likely to be interviewed, unless they are a veteran. At Munger it may depend more on the judge and the recommendations, but the grades still matter a lot for clerk recruiting, and there are HYS cutoffs. These places are incredibly competitive and picky.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:19 pm

Has anyone heard from Patterson Belknap? Their recruiting event was last week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Patterson Belknap? Their recruiting event was last week.
Literally got a ding from them this morning.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Patterson Belknap? Their recruiting event was last week.
Literally got a ding from them this morning.
Sorry to hear that but thanks for letting us know they’re starting the massacre. I literally had a partner tell me they wouldn’t hire someone with my background AT THE COCKTAIL EVENT. Classy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”