COA Staff Attorney-> District Court Clerk? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

COA Staff Attorney-> District Court Clerk?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:20 pm

Public-interest 3L interested in impact litigation. Looking at 2-year staff attorney positions, and wondering if it would be a career non-starter. Decent grades/resume but barely competitive for a 2018 A3 clerkship which would be useful for what I want to do. Have been told work experience would help. Also looking at magistrates and wondering where COA staff attorney would fall compared to magistrate clerk (which I'm more familiar with).

Anonymous User

Re: COA Staff Attorney-> District Court Clerk?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:23 pm

Pretty sure you'd be better off doing a fellowship in your desired PI field and then applying to clerkships from there.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Public-interest 3L interested in impact litigation. Looking at 2-year staff attorney positions, and wondering if it would be a career non-starter. Decent grades/resume but barely competitive for a 2018 A3 clerkship which would be useful for what I want to do. Have been told work experience would help. Also looking at magistrates and wondering where COA staff attorney would fall compared to magistrate clerk (which I'm more familiar with).
If your goal is to land a district-court clerkship, a clerkship with a magistrate judge would be far more useful than a COA staff attorney position.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:30 pm

Thank you! Will avoid. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:31 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Public-interest 3L interested in impact litigation. Looking at 2-year staff attorney positions, and wondering if it would be a career non-starter. Decent grades/resume but barely competitive for a 2018 A3 clerkship which would be useful for what I want to do. Have been told work experience would help. Also looking at magistrates and wondering where COA staff attorney would fall compared to magistrate clerk (which I'm more familiar with).
If your goal is to land a district-court clerkship, a clerkship with a magistrate judge would be far more useful than a COA staff attorney position.
+1. I've done all of those things, and MJ clerkship definitely generated more interest than COA staff attorney.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:43 pm

I did COA Staff Attorney ---> District Court with on-the-border grades...but it was damn tough and took years of trying.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”