Need Advice -- Responding to Offer Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Need Advice -- Responding to Offer

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:05 am

Longtime lurker here. I recently interviewed with and received an offer from a D. Ct. judge in SDNY/EDNY/NDCal/CDCal. I currently live and work on the other side of the country and when I applied and interviewed I felt confident that I would be happy to move for the year term. Now that it is all really happening I am absolutely panicking at the idea of pulling up my life here and moving across the country. On top of that, I recently received some family health news that makes this even more difficult. FWIW I plan to return home after the year is up.

I know that these positions are incredibly competitive and that I'm wildly lucky to have received an offer. I also know the "don't apply/interview/etc for a position you wouldn't take" advice from law school clerkship offices. I understand that turning down this offer may mean I never clerk (i.e. pissing off recommenders who advocate on my behalf, in addition to the judge). I'm just trying to figure out what that really means and how to best handle this situation. I would really appreciate any advice.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Need Advice -- Responding to Offer

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:07 am

Frankly, I think the family health stuff gives you an easy out here (sorry to sound crass about that). If it's something you didn't know about when you applied/interviewed, and the judge gave you time to consider the offer, it's perfectly fine to decline and explain that your circumstances have changed and you don't feel able to relocate now. If the offer is open and you haven't accepted, the judge will be disappointed but will have time to find another clerk, and it shouldn't burn bridges with reasonable people.

If you actually accepted an offer and are looking to withdraw (it sounds like you haven't but I'm a little confused about how imminent uprooting your life is?) you can still do the above, I think it will just be more delicate and more badly-received the closer to your start date you are. You may burn bridges, but in the end you have to decide for yourself how much you're willing to give up to stay home.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:21 pm

I agree w Nony.

Imo, If you feel your career is perfectly fine and you're happy with now and your prospects in the future, etc.... Then there's no real reason to uproot your life for a clerkship across the country when you're just gonna go back home after anyway. But if you think that clerkship might open doors for you down the line... I would really consider clerking.

COA is more impactful than d.ct. but it seems to me that sometimes clerkships just cannot be replaced as a credential....

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:12 pm

I don't know how serious the family health issue is. If you're wanting to back out because you're nervous about the move and the family health issue is more of a justification than a necessity, I think it might be a good idea to do it. It's only a year, and I think you might feel differently once you're there. If the family health issue is serious and you need to stay to deal with it, Nony's advice is quality advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”